Turn-In Boxes from Smokin Valley BBQ Comp

B

Burk504

Here are the boxes we turned in this weekend. This was our first comp and think they turned out pretty good. I would appreciate any advice on how we can improve these for next time.

One thing I know is that my 'putting greens' were too thick. In some cases, especially Chicken, the food hit the lid and left sauce on it when the judges opened it.

IMG_8039.jpg

IMG_8040.jpg

IMG_8046.jpg

IMG_8047.jpg

congrats.. not a bad first time out..What were your scores ?

yes.. cut back on the parsely height a bit.

Chix - trim a bit more evenly (see upper right).. Some more rub/seasoning color might be nice worked in as well.

Ribs - try for cleaner cuts and possibly adding another rib on top & bottom

Pork - more sauce, show some bark

Brisket - even the slices or the cuts on the ends.. add more slices and/or add some cubed point in the front

Not Bad Overall. A sharper knife or electric knife may help get cleaner cuts. Use the greens as a border, fill the box up with some more meat.

That said, pay less attention to the appearance and more on the taste and tenderness your first couple comps. You have plenty of time to work on appearance. Just my 2 cents...

Not to bad for your first attempt. I thought that one over length piece of chicken was not a good appearance. The pic of the Brisket looked like some the slices were mixed up and different size. the pork looked pretty good. The ribs themselves looked good, needed a couple more to fill the box.. that's just my opinion...

not bad. even out your chicken pieces so they are the same size. Fill the box up. Judges dont eat no greens. they eat meat. Make the box a MEAT centerpiece. gotta say your boxes sure look better than my first boxes. Taste and tenderness are weighted higher than appearance so concentrate on that. the other comes with time and experience. Rick

OK...Here are the scores as promised.

Chicken - 876 988 677 898 879 688
Lesson learned here - cook more chicken. We only did 9 pieces!

Ribs - 876 777 779 977 899 764
These were way over done and I can't believe I got the scores I did. Definitely need to put 8 in next time...6 does make the box look a little empty

Pork - 788 978 777 899 788 767

Brisket - 668 778 689 988 866 788
This was so tender that I had a hard time getting it from the cutting board to the box without it falling apart. Will judges score it down for being a little too tender? It wasn't mushy at all, but it didn't hold up really well.

I really appreciate the feedback.

I'd give chic 8
ribs 7 or 8 could add more to box
pork 8 more bark might help
Beef 7 not cut uniformly, sizes are all differant and zagged on edges.
Yes judges will lower score if the meat falls apart. Man that 4 blows, I think everything looks great eitherway.

In line with other comments, I'd say trim the chicken down more and make them even...

Add more ribs, I'd go for 5 top and bottom.

More pork, and show more bark

More brisket and better cuts on the ends, as well as a bit longer to fill the box a bit more.

Brisket - 668 778 689 988 866 788
This was so tender that I had a hard time getting it from the cutting board to the box without it falling apart. Will judges score it down for being a little too tender? It wasn't mushy at all, but it didn't hold up really well.

I really appreciate the feedback.

YES, judges will score down for it being to tender. Try the pull/stretch test. The piece of brisket should pull/stretch with a little resistance before pulling apart. If it crumbles or breaks when it is picked up it is way over done.

Back