My first comp is in the books!!

TroyA65

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
First of all, I wanted to thank everyone on this site for tolerating all of my questions and teaching me a ton of stuff about bbq over the past year.

I competed at the Poor-Que Comp this weekend and I had a blast. I exceeded my goals for the first comp (hit all the turn ins, no DQ's, and don't finish last). The only reason I was able to do this is because of all the help I got from the Brethren at the comp. Special thanks to Coz & his brother for their help and guidance, Captain PJ and his wife for their insights and teaching us how to build a box, A Fine Swine team for their help with set-up, the samples & sauce, and the guys from Risky Brisket for their insights. You guys are awesome!!

I got 2 calls, one for Brisket-10th place and one for Ribs-5th place. I ended up finishing 7th out of 38 teams!! I couldn't have asked for a better experience and I met a ton of great people, hopefully I'll see you guys again soon.

Here are some pics from the comp, keep an eye out for me

DSC00346.jpg

Building my Chicken Box
DSC00365.jpg

Chicken

DSC00369.jpg

Ribs

DSC00375.jpg

Pork

DSC00389.jpg

Brisket

DSC00402.jpg

Winner, Winner, chicken dinner!!

IMG_2494.jpg

Congrats! Fantastic results first time out or not.

Great guys all around you at that one. (Coz's brother is Pate, Cheap Beer on here)

PS-Kenosha is a great comp, fairly certain I met you there last year (things get a little hazy for me after no sleep and possibly some whiskey intake)

Congrats! Fantastic results first time out or not.

Great guys all around you at that one. (Coz's brother is Pate, Cheap Beer on here)

PS-Kenosha is a great comp, fairly certain I met you there last year (things get a little hazy for me after no sleep and possibly some whiskey intake)

Thanks, not sure if we met there or not, but I stopped by at Masters in May at Fremont for a little while on Friday before things got rolling.

see knew ya looked familiar now its all coming back to me....

Kenosha is a must for us, we like the crowd interaction.

That is the correct prize money. The entry fee is extremely low to encourage new teams to come out and participate. The contest is well run and has brought many new teams to the BBQ family.

Back