Anyone filtering sauces in comps?

GreenDrake

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity before I give it a run, if you filter your sauces, bbq or finish glazes...how are you doing it? I was going to take a batch I did this last weekend and squeeze it through some cheese cloth and see if that took out some of the granularity and made it a more presentable sauce. Just a random thought but might be worth trying out. Anyone done this?

True story. Last year we managed to use a berry jam in our sauce that wasn't seedless. We got to the comp without knowing it. We went to apply and our chicken looked like a hamburger bun. We looked around for a way to strain our sauce and the only thing we could find was a french press that we brought along. Well it managed to get most of the seeds out but it also pressed out all the spices so we were left with a flavored syrup. Needless to say we did not do well that comp. So if by some chance you were wondering, french coffee presses do not make good sauce strainers.

We used a sauce that had red pepper flake and didn't want that on our chicken. We just used a simple mesh strainer, works great and looks great too.

CHUNKY SAUCE BLUNDER :-D

I competed in a peoples choice rib off in 2011. Had made my own special sauce with some chunks to boot.
Had a customer come up, picked up the rib, the extra sauce bottle i had put on the side. SQUEEZE and SQUEEZE, sauce aint comin out, he keeps trying
without my attention to whats going on. Building pressure due to the chunk is not fitting through the squeese bottle..SQUEEZE...pressure building LOL
Until BOOM off comes the top of the bottle + a extremely sauced rib, hands, table, pants, boots :shock:, classic...:oops::grin::twisted:, you should of seen his face & he even apologized for the explosion..go figure LOL, so from now on I will always strain my sauces now before comps, especially peoples choice.

i just cut the nozzle a little wider.

but, there's very little "chunkiness" to my sauces to begin with.

Apologies, it isn't granular because of sugars or soluables. I was thinking of filtering out particulate such as the fine ground coffee I use in one of my sauces. That and any larger red pepper flake. I don't want to clarify it completely, just thinking of a more uniform finish to it. Like layering rubs with different granularity I guess. I may try the screen sieve this weekend and see how she goes with some chicken practice.

Apologies, it isn't granular because of sugars or soluables. I was thinking of filtering out particulate such as the fine ground coffee I use in one of my sauces. That and any larger red pepper flake. I don't want to clarify it completely, just thinking of a more uniform finish to it. Like layering rubs with different granularity I guess. I may try the screen sieve this weekend and see how she goes with some chicken practice.

From my years of experience with coffee BBQ - :becky:

Have you tried grinding the coffee turkish instead of fine?
It will powder it and make it the consistantcy of paprika...you won't even know its there. Your local 5 bucks (starbucks) can powder it in less than a minute.:thumb:

Great idea. I wonder where I can find a really good grinder to powder my own. I have tried using my Cuisinart mini prep, doesn't get it fine enough. Any recommendations on an herb grinder that makes such dust?

Back