smoking with black walnut?

longhair75

Full Fledged Farker
I have a black walnut tree in my yard. I have trimmed out some branches and, as a hard wood, I was thinking of smoking with the wood once it has seasoned. There was some dry sections, and I tried some of it today after I had wrapped my brisket, and it had an unpleasant smell. Has anyone used this? I have a whole lot I can season and use next season...

Walnut gets asked about, every so often, here. The general concensus is not positive. Personally, I don't like even using it for firewood.

Matt

I have some that's very old, like 16~17 years after cutting.....it's my very favorite wood that I use for smoking......very deep, rich flavor & not bitter at all, but at that old, most of the oils have leached out of it which would likely be the stuff that causes it to be sharp-edged & nasty when new............

Maybe set some off to the side & try it in a few years.....nobody said smoking was an instant gratification hobby.........:-D

I used it a few times many years ago.

It is fine for smoking, but does impart a very heavy smoke flavor, I found my best results mixing it with some oak. Like anything else, too much can be overpowering and if the fire is not managed properly you can end up with some bitterness, however this is true of any fire, the heavier smoke flavor just makes it more pronounced.

I don't use it any more, not because it's bad, but because with age I am set in my ways. Apple. Pear, Peach, and Cherry are my mainstays with the occasional use of citrus on poultry / foul.

I urge you to try it if you like a good smokey flavor....

I don't line burning with it in the fireplace. There seems to be a lot of pitch when burnt. Save it for some furniture����. Lol

Walnut is like hickory extra. Black walnut is like walnut extra.

I have used both and was pleased, but please season walnut at least 2 years and black walnut 3-4 IMO

Back