View Single Post
Old 08-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ALAN View Post
Such a shame. Back in the early 70's we had Love's Wood Pit BBQ restaurants out west. I would order two racks of BB's, with bread and BBQ beans, and two glasses of on-tap Coors. A fiest. Messy? Pass the napkins! With no Q'ing knowledge, we tried but failed to replicate them at home. Usual boil/grill (Ugh!) not the same. Not until the last 5 years did I educate myself to do them at home on a small pit. Now we do them at will. Last year a local long-time San Diego meat market/ butcher shop advertised a summer sweet onion/bbq rib festival where they pimped Traeger smokers. With much anticipation, a friend and I traveled the 20 miles to be encouraged. What a disappointment. They didn't smoke the ribs, they boiled them in large aluminum pans, then slathered them in bottled sauce to give them flavor! Sure they had Traeger's for SALE, but did not use them! What a shame. We stayed for 15 minutes, drove home where I fired up a small CharBroil Smokey Joepit and smoked BB's properly. Can't go to dinner for proper Q here.
Our Love's here in GG closed about 8 years ago - A real loss. We still have a Chris n Pitts, which is not bad. Hard to get clearance to install a smoker in a restaurant, especially in LA County. The Johnny Reb's here cook their ribs at a central store, and then deliver to each location to finish on the grill. But at the end of the day, BBQ is best at a "hole in the wall" joint.