• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The cooking begins..... Pork Butt questions

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
What do you guys use for pork butts, bone in or out??

Price for bone in .89

Price for boneless 1.03

Please help I am ordering now. THANKS

Well, I will disagree. I prefer boneless due to having the ability to hit the nooks and crannies with my rub. Additionally, I brine my butts and it is less time in the brine for boneless. Bottomline: do what works for you, this is my experience.

Disclaimer: YMMV :biggrin:

bone in for me too. But in this case price isn't the reason! Looks to me like these two options are exactly the same price. In one case you're paying for meat & bone, in the other you're just paying for meat.

bone in for me too. But in this case price isn't the reason! Looks to me like these two options are exactly the same price. In one case you're paying for meat & bone, in the other you're just paying for meat.

I disagree. You are paying a premium to have the butcher take the bone out, where if you cook it bone in you get the flavor from the bone and it's easy to remove the bone if you've cooked it properly.

When the bone pulls cleanly out of the butt.......its perfectly done.

Last edited:
Well, I will disagree. I prefer boneless due to having the ability to hit the nooks and crannies with my rub. Additionally, I brine my butts and it is less time in the brine for boneless. Bottomline: do what works for you, this is my experience.

Disclaimer: YMMV :biggrin:

Always gotta be one outlaw.

Bone-in for me too. Besides being easier to handle, those boneless ones tend to be trimmed abit more than I like.

JMO - but I've cooked them both ways. Boneless, cause I wasn't paying attention at Costco and picked up 2 boneless butts and of course I've cooked them with bone in. IMHO - bone in wins everytime! Everytime!

Back