The Question Is.........

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Can I take this no smoking Propane Turd and turn it into a Possibly Insulated, Charcoal n Wood Chunk Burning, Meat Smoking Machine? We will find out over the next few weeks........

null_zps57d6a6ce.jpg

null_zps7cf7b21c.jpg

To Be Continued..........

Interesting! Will stay tuned for progress...

What was the CL price?

They wanted $200, been offering less all week - $180 was best I could do but I just sold the offset vertical tank smoker for $180 that I had $80 in so I figure I got $80
Into this one - sorta. :wink: And I'll probally get a few Dollars for the propane setup in this one back on the CL. :heh:

Last edited:
keep us posted, seems like a neat project to try.

Besides ruining Meats , buying and playing with and selling Cheapo smokers is part of the Hobby for me ......just wish I knew how to weld and could afford a wire welder and a plasma.......:pray:

Don't look to be to difficult gut the burner assy and build a basket block the louvres and install a slide damper shouldn't take longer than a 12 pk.

Besides ruining Meats

And you do so well at it :laugh:

just wish I knew how to weld and could afford a wire welder and a plasma.......:pray:

Come on over my boy will help you out. We got 3 welders, we'll set you up on the lil one to get ya going.

Tuned in to watch this conversion, you got it I'm sure.

Great minds thinking alike??????

I think mine is an older big brother to your score and just yesterday started measuring an sketching a remodel from a gasser to a charcoal/stickburner. Mine is a "Grand Hall" made in China for Sam's Club, marketed as a MembersMark product. I cooked on it for about 10 years and got pretty good results but since I build my reverse flow a couple years ago, I've just had it mounted to the trailer and used is as an oven, but I think it will make a nice insulated vertical. The top cooking chamber is already insulated.
002_zpsbadc4412.jpg

The bottom chamber is not insulated but it is plenty big to let me add 2" of insulation and a 1/4" firebox, charcoal grate, etc. (I've been using the lower chamber to store my gas frier & stuff)
005_zps4d1b2cf3.jpg

My plan is to keep the water pan but gut the wood chip drawers and burner & controls.
003_zpscf1ad215.jpg

004_zpsa5dd287f.jpg

I'm thinking I'll be able to preserve the SS exterior pretty much in tact. Good luck on your build and I'll be watchin closely to try and learn something.

I gutted the propane system tonite........

null_zps03dfc7cb.jpg

null_zps64c7f7f0.jpg

It had recessed wheels and so had wheel humps in back corners I had to cut out....I'm gonna cover the bottom and the vented sides on inside with lighter gauge sheetmetal then have a buddy weld me up an open top box out of 1/8" or 3/16" plate with short (4") front wall to slip in there then I will run a charcoal n wood chunk burn basket in that.

null_zpsc2d2c8d8.jpg

It is double walled but not insulated except for the doors-- if I can get the top off easily I wanna stuff insulation down into the walls :biggrin1:

I Am on the LookOut for a cheap 60-80 Gallon upright Air Compressor Tank Too.........:shock:

You're off to a great start!
looks like you will have one nice smoker there.

Boots are way safer to work in :shock:

He's at the 40, the 35, the 30....He could go all the WAY!!!!

I'll keep waving my pom poms from the sideline.:cheer2:

And my High Temp Food Grade RTV from BBQGaskets.com via Amazon came today so I oughta be able to get some work done on it this weekend........

null_zpsde92a8e7.jpg

Last edited:
Back