BBQ Brethren "Brisket Appreciation" Throwdown!

OK, I wasn't gonna let Wampus' and Chambers' smack talk get me down, so I had to do a brisket this weekend.
Brisket was awesome (mine always are!) as was the rest of dinner which consisted of zucchini, summer squash, onions, garlic, Dirt cooked in olive oil and butter, as well as fresh-made-tonight bruschetta.
The brisket was rubbed with my secret Wyocena Yacht Club Competition Brisket rub, cooked for 14 hours on the WSM with cherry chunks, and drizzled with Big Butz Cranberry. Good.Stuff.Maynard. :thumb:
Here's the pics. Please use the last one Chris.

0731001v2-1.jpg

0731002v2.jpg

Last edited:
I really appreciated this Brisket Hash dish, it was lovely!:love:

r_IMG_0990.jpg

My wife apparently really appreciated it too!:becky:

We're going to go roll down that big grassy hill now, and maybe take a dip in the pond.:whoo: Have you ever looked really close at a cricket?:shock:

Oh, more info about the dish is here.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=112671

Brisket for lunch. I looked for a full packer, but(with the exception of selects at Wally World) no could find. Settled for a flat. Injected with beef broth and a small bit of cider vinegar over night. Rubbed with Coopers old Time, smoked @ 225 with apple. Took 'bout 7 hours.
brisket3.jpg

brisket4.jpg

brisket5.jpg

brisket2.jpg

Lunch! Please use this shot. Thanks for looking.
brisket1.jpg

Hot & Slow - a Tale of Brisket Appreciation

Let me start by making one thing perfectly clear: I L-O-V-E BRISKET!!! When folks ask me what my favorite cut to Q is, I always answer, "brisket!". The highest (and most bizarre) compliment ever paid my BBQ was a friend of my son's who told me, "I would wake up with a smile on my face every day knowing that I had to strangle a man to eat this brisket!" A little weird maybe, but heartfelt nonetheless.

And so I enter this Appreciation of the Brisket TD because it's true - I appreciate the heck out of brisket!

I chose a packer from our freezer that proved to be a troublesome yet rewarding challenge in the end. From the moment I uncrated this 13LB hunk of lovely, it was - well - weird...the processing plant had left a big gash in the flat and the point had a gristly flap of meat attached; but still, I loved this brisket.

picture.php

Unaware of the wife's plan to tie up my entire weekend, I thawed this oddball out on Friday and gave it a soak Saturday in preparation for a Sunday cook. With no time for a shopping trip to secure the usual marinade ingredients, I cleaned out the fridge and made a "kitchen sink" marinade:

picture.php

Went back to an old rub combo and got the smoker started around 6:30 Sunday morning. Somewhere during my second cup of coffee, I chucked it on a 245* smoker:

picture.php

picture.php

The intention was to go slow for 4 hours - 225ish - then ramp up to 275* for the final part of the cook, but you know what they say about good intentions...don't think the smoker ever went below 230* for the whole cook and yet this freak of nature stalled for over two hours at 155*, yet I did not despair. I reached for the iPod and cranked up Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus, allowing plenty of time for my beast of a beauty to finish.

picture.php

Once it finally started moving, it was agonizingly slow to reach tenderness at 190* in the flat (even with temps running as high as 373*!). So I occupied my time as any loving Brisket devotee would by throwing back several barley pops and choking down a few good stogies.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Finally, at 7:45, I pulled and rested my homely hunk of goodness:

picture.php

picture.php

I didn't plate this entry because, well, by 8:30 I'd already eaten a salmon dinner provided by some neighbors who brought home over 30 lbs of fish from their vacation:

picture.php

But I did slice up a few samples:

picture.php

So here is my attempt at avoiding dreaded goose egg status, hopefully I have not violated too many TD rules; please use this as my TD entry photo and thanks for lookin'!:

picture.php

I reached for the iPod and cranked up Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus, allowing plenty of time for my beast of a beauty to finish.

That quote alone brought a tear to my eye. The late great Lowell George, what a great album. If it wasn't so late, I'd crack open another bottle of wine and just prop my feat (Feats don't fail me now!) up and listen along.

Damn I miss that band. Good looking brisky BTW. :-D

I need to start making beer money by charging people to Photoshop there TD entries. I'm thinking 20 bucks a photo -- and a 100 dollar bonus if your entry wins. :heh:

CD

Attachments

• 1732576_bigabyte.jpg
    1732576_bigabyte.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 28
Back