1st time with chargriller!!

E

Ernie3

I am planning on using my chargriller w/sfb for the first time on Wed..I am planning on doing a couple of beer can chickens, just wondering what temp. you guys ussually do these at and about how long they should take.

I thought I would rub them with a little olive oil and then some Basic BBQ Rub. Maybe inject with a little melted butter? Or maybe do them each in something different? Any tips would be great, especially because the inlaws will be over.:eek: BTY the chickens (two of them) are 3.5lbs each.

Should I try doing some ABT,s too? Or should I just stick to the chickens for the trial run. I have never done the ABT's either and they look awesome. Thanks.

For the beer can ckicken I would use applewood and cook at 300-350 for approx. 1hr 10 min or so. The ABT's I usually smoke at about 250 until the bacon is done to your liking. And yes they are awesome little treats. Good luck and let us see the pics of your cook.

Oh yeah, thanks Porky I forgot to mention I was planning on using some applewood for smoke.

Make sure you take the upper grate out of the Chargriller before you put your chickens on. They won't fit with it in and they will fall over. Don't ask me how I know about that!:shock:

Jason

I do 250 for 2-2.5 hours. They come out perfect every time! just watch the one close to the fire box. It is much hotter there unless you have some tunning plates over it.

When you take them off, let them set for a few minutes before you start getting into them.

Mike

I usually run my chickens at about 225 for about 5 hours. They are always tender and delicious!

If this is your first ime DO NOT GO BY THE FACTORY THERMOMETER it's so off you'll ruin everything. Once I removed the warming rack, I did the dampener extension where I extended it down to the grate level and it makes a world of difference.

When I had my CG, I used to not use the firebox for BCC and run it 325-350 with the coals up in the main box.

I would really recomend firing the chargriller up for a dry run if it is really your first burn. there is a lot of oil that was applied to the inside for the trip overseas in the salt air. When the oil starts burning off it is going to put off some funky smelling fumes. The paint on the outside is going to put of fumes also. Especially with high heat.

Hey thanks guys! Cliff I actually have seasoned the CG already:-D and big 12 thanks too, I have read where the CG themometers are way off. So I bought a Thermometer I can place right on the grate also to compare. I have also done the stack extension and charcoal basket as well. Now its time for the food:wink: . My main concern was how long at what temp.? So it seems to me 225-250 for 2 to 2.5 hrs? Now I am doing two of them so should I extend the cooking time? I am new to all this so sorry for the newbie questions, and I do appreciate all of your help!

Ernie,

I noticed you have a 22.5" kettle...I make Beer Can Chicken all the time on my kettle and have always got outstanding results...Charcoal on both sides and a water pan in the middle under the birds...The only thing is you have to have something to lift the lid up about two inches so the birds will fit........

I usually do chickens around 250-275 for up to three hours. I go by internal temp. 170 in the thigh.

I had some issues with chickens on my CG last year. They stayed below 160 for three hours. They took about 6 hours to get to 170. I was to cocerned about bugs so I threw them out.

I want chicken to get above 140 asap.

I do birds all the time on my CG....give the leg a shake and see if it is ready to fall off......times vary with weather conditions and fuel....go for 170 in the thigh but, still do the leg shake thing, btw I always run at 225/275 degrees...hope this helps.

I would also recommend flipping the main chamber's charcoal tray over and placing right against the hole from the firebox. I've found that this helps distribute the heat much better than waterpans.

Also, line everything with heavy duty aluminum foil - the insides of the firebox and main chamber, and both charcoal trays. If you flip the main one, make sure you line the side facing up :roll: . Clean up after cooking takes me about five minutes.

The chickens were a SUCCESS:biggrin: ! They came out really great. My Father in law has done them before and he said mine were even better than his, and it is not like him at all to compliment. Mother in-law also very impressed, so was the wife:shock: .

Sorry no pics, I was a little pressed for time yesterday, Next time I promise. Thanks for all the great advice, I couldn't have done it without you guys!

Back