Problem with brisket, HELP

chaostheory

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Fellas,
Not sure what happened here. Maybe you guys do. The brisket was probe tender at 205. Took it out opened the foil and let it vent 2 hours. Went to cut into her and I had this dry fall apart cracking issue. Did I over cook her or undercook her. Have a look at the pictures and let me know what you pros think. Thanks!

Overcooked it. You did cut across the grain right?

Cross grain cut. If it's falling apart try thicker slices.
I'd guess it's over done.

Bark looks great, doesnt seem like a lot of fat.

Overcooked for sure.

Dont pay attention to temps, use them as a gauge for when its ready.

I find briskets generally are tender around 190+ but you can have some parts at 190+ and some over 200°

I also would generally not foil as the steam tends to cook a bit hotter and faster. However i have covered with foil and cut a small hole for steam to escape and after 180 or so its back in the open to get the bark back.

Great thing about brisket is even shredded with some bbq and hot sauce its a killer meal.

U can also make bbq hash.

Hope that helps.

I also have on occasion gotten what I call a bad brisket but generally when I retrace my steps I messed up.

Got 60lb of brisket on now and pulled beef tomorrow with a bunch of chickens.

At least mistakes.taste great.

I would guess over-cooked as well. Over cooked more often falls apart like that. Undercooked tend to hold together real well

Overcooked. Just remember the feeling you probed at this time and adjust from there.

Back