Competition: Who has the best BBQ Sauce.

It took me forever to find this thread again. It somehow got deleted from my bookmarks! I'm finally living somewhere that I can grill/.bbq now and this was the thread I was looking for. thanks so much everyone for posting. I can't wait to try some of these sauces

INFERNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

WHAT....you got a REAL life or somethin?:becky::roll:

I have to agree, being a greenhorn is rough! Thanks Brethren for all of the help!

Just found this great thread and had to open it back up for when Inferno returns!!! This is one of our favorite sauces! Hope you add it to your list to try!

From Al Arthur in Kansas City

Big Al's K.C. Barbecue Sauce

Ingredients

• 2 cups ketchup
  • 2 cups tomato sauce
  • 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
  • 4 teaspoons hickory-flavored liquid smoke
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
Directions

1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, mix together the ketchup, tomato sauce, brown sugar, wine vinegar, molasses, liquid smoke and butter. Season with garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, celery seed, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and pepper.
  2. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for up to 20 minutes. For thicker sauce, simmer longer, and for thinner, less time is needed. Sauce can also be thinned using a bit of water if necessary. Brush sauce onto any kind of meat during the last 10 minutes of cooking.

I still haven't found a BBQ sauce in a bottle that I love. Home made sauce is the best so far.

plenty of recipes for me to try out in this thread. Thanks:thumb:

So this matchlight wants to know which one of you Farkers is gonna take up where Inferno left off? :becky:

Just made a variation on Mister Bob's recipe. We made it a little spicier (maybe too spicy for my wife though).

My son came in and tested it and said, "let's put this on something now, it's good". Got some pulled pork resting right now, that we're going to try this on. Can't wait!

Thanks for this thread and this forum. I really appreciate it! :clap2:

I thought I would put up a post that would be an interesting idea and something I have not seen done before.

Dude, you got way too much time on your hands but if doing this makes you happy, do it.

Here's my recipe...

frohe's Kick Ass Texas BBQ Sauce

1 quart v8 juice
1 quart beef stock; de-greased
1/2 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup dark molasses
1/3 cup black pepper
1/3 cup hungarian sweet paprika
1/4 cup yellow onion; minced
1 bottle worcestershire sauce
1 cup chilies; you decide how hot
1/2 cup garlic; pressed

The key to the amount of heat is the chilies and how many you use. I usually make up 3 batches; one for the gringo bellies made with green bell peppers, a medium hot one made with jalapenos or Serrano, and a hot one made with habaneros.
Mix together V8 juice and beef stock. Then add mustard, cider, molasses, black pepper and paprika as you stir the sauce. Put mixture on stove to simmer. After 1/2 hour, add Worcestershire sauce, minced yellow onion, chilies, and garlic. Let the sauce simmer for about 2 hours in your smoker to pick up the good smoke taste. Stir and taste often as it simmers. After about three hours total simmering time, taste and add some salt if needed. You can put it in a blender to smooth it out. Let the sauce cool and put it in a gallon jug and let age at least a week in the refrigerator before using.
Serve on the side with brisket, ribs, chicken or over steak.

Bump - this is/was a great thread, and I can only hope that infernooo (or someone else) can continue the effort

This won't apply to everyone, but I really have liked Harris Teeter Grocery Stores (mostly in SC NC VA DC) store brand Harris Teeter Traders Memphis Style barbeque sauce. It is a watery type sauce but has great flavor and low on sugar for BBQ sauce. Really like it on NC eastern style pulled pork BBQ.

I use 3 parts Sweet Baby Rays original and 1 part apple cider vinegar and Oak Ridge Habanero Death Dust. I use about teaspoon of HDD but you can adjust to your taste.

Back