Anyone do a Beer Can Turkey?

gambler

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a turkey on my UDS. I want to do it just like a beer can chicken. Has anyone done this, and how did it turn out. Please explain your process, type of cooker, and temps. Also, do you brine first or is the beer enough? Thanks

Most people will say brine is good on a bird. Also you want to be careful with the 40-140 rule. A big bird will take a while to reach 140 unless you start your cook at a higher, rather than low and slow temp.

If it were me, I'd be starting it @ around 300 for maybe 2 hours, then crank heat up to 375-400 till done. Cooking a large bird low and slow will open the door for the nasties to multiply, not to mention the skin will have the texture of a 5 year old rubber band.

Most people will say brine is good on a bird. Also you want to be careful with the 40-140 rule. A big bird will take a while to reach 140 unless you start your cook at a higher, rather than low and slow temp.

If it were me, I'd be starting it @ around 300 for maybe 2 hours, then crank heat up to 375-400 till done. Cooking a large bird low and slow will open the door for the nasties to multiply, not to mention the skin will have the texture of a 5 year old rubber band.

I planned on cooking at a higher heat, somewhere in the 300's like you suggested. What is the 4-140 rule?

I saw where someone did one with one of those Heineken barrel cans, like a liter can or something?

If you want to go that route, try the "Turkey Cannon". Same principle, but the cannon allows you to lay the bird down so it will fit better on most smokers.

Here's a link of the last one I did. Love that turkey cannon.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104719

The biggest piece of advice I can offer? BRINE BRINE BRINE BRINE!!!!

I've never used a beer can I use a bird rack made for turkeys. I oil the bird down , put the seasonings on and I think my temps are around 325 or so. As the bird cooks I spray butter on it to keep it moist and builds a good crust and the best part are the wings. Nice and crispy................ My birds are 12 to 15lbs and takes about 4hrs or so............ Let us know how it turns out.

I saw where someone did one with one of those Heineken barrel cans, like a liter can or something?

If you want to go that route, try the "Turkey Cannon". Same principle, but the cannon allows you to lay the bird down so it will fit better on most smokers.

Here's a link of the last one I did. Love that turkey cannon.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104719

The biggest piece of advice I can offer? BRINE BRINE BRINE BRINE!!!!

That Turkey Cannon looks interesting. And the turkey you did on it looks awesome. I think I wanna first try with a beer can. I was thinking a Foster's oil can. Not sure if that will be big enough. Maybe I'll have to check out that mini barrel. So did you brine your cannon turkey? I didn't see a step where you did.

I've never used a beer can I use a bird rack made for turkeys. I oil the bird down , put the seasonings on and I think my temps are around 325 or so. As the bird cooks I spray butter on it to keep it moist and builds a good crust and the best part are the wings. Nice and crispy................ My birds are 12 to 15lbs and takes about 4hrs or so............ Let us know how it turns out.

What is a bird rack, and do you inject or brine?

Yes, I ALWAYS brine my turkeys. ALWAYS.

I've tried a lot of different brines, but I have pretty much ended up with a simple brine of about 2 parts (1c) salt, 1 part (1/2c) sugar and a handful of whole peppercorns to a gallon of water. If I feel squirly, I'll also add juice of an orange, a couple of lemons, thyme, but usually it's just S&P&S.

The cannon is essentially the same thing as a beer can bird. The cannon holds the liquid as the beer can will and it also supports the bird better.

I've been smoking turkeys for thanksgiving at or above 325 for 3 years now. That last one with the cannon was the best turkey yet.

Good luck!

The rack sticks up inside the bird so it sets straight up in the smoker. I do not inject or brine . I for get who makes these but their made for chickens and turkeys. Turkeys or chickens alway turn out great.......

The rack sticks up inside the bird so it sets straight up in the smoker. I do not inject or brine . I for get who makes these but their made for chickens and turkeys. Turkeys or chickens alway turn out great.......

Could that rack hold a large beer can?

No Brime, just a turkey cannon with chicken biollion and spices inside. On UDS at 225 till 165 in the breast. Every one loved it.

Photos:

Turkey12_2010.jpg

Drum_12_2010.jpg

almost crisp skin, almost. Turkey was moist and flavorful. About 3 hours (I don't have my cook log with me at ....)

ive never done a beer can...

but i did use chris lillys chicken recipe on my thanksgiving turkey last year! came out awesome

No it won't hold a beer can. I'll do some digging thru my stuff and get the name of them I got them from Ca. some place they work great and at the time they had a good price on em so I bought some for game hens,chickens,and turkeys.......

I told the wife its time to do a bird and post some pics.......

I did a turkey on a cast iron turkey cooker designed for the grill and it turned out just like beer can chicken.

I checked on the name of the roasters and I got it from Spanek Magic. They have a number of items plus seasonings.

spanek.com

I think that will get you there.................

Back