First Smoke

Jamo

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey All,

After stalking around here for the past couple of years, i'm finally in a position where I can spend a little money and get my first smoker. So once tax money rolls in I'll be getting a 22.5 WSM.

But here is my quandry, I know that I will have a huge amount of space to work with here, but I don't also want to get into something to difficult on my very first smoke.

What should I do for my first meal? Pork shoulder? Ribs? Beer Can chicken?

Any suggestions are welcome, i'm diving into the deep end here.

Jamo

I'd go with a pork butt until you learn how to use the wsm, butts are very forgiving and taste great. Chicken is great, but is very easy to over smoke and requires a higher cooking temp. Start with a butt and practice getting a good clean burn, with light smoke at 250f, master that and you can cook anything. Good luck, let us know how it's going.

Whatever you do, don't forget to put in a fatty!

Nate,

Should I put in the fatty to help season the WSM? Or just because they look freaking awesome?

Jamo

So I wasn't too far off on thinking Pork butt myself. Looks like I'll be going with that.

Thanks for your help.

There you have it... pork butt and fatty. You couldn't get better advice if you paid for it. Great choice on a first smoker. Wish I had one of those to when I started (or now).

Pork butt was my first cook in my UDS. If you follow the great advice on this forum, you cant go wrong. It gets better with practice.

Pork Butts and Fatties.

Can't go wrong with a combination of both.:thumb:

Not sure how my wife will feel about the fattie. She's a "picky" eater who is more inclined to veggies, but i'm hoping that the Que will convince her otherwise.

OH dont worry about that. She will be one of the converted. My wife is.

You can do veggies on the WSM, just be sure to add them toward the end of you cook, and don't hit them too much smoke, they will absorb it like a sponge.

Attachments

• P1000971.JPG
    P1000971.JPG
    374.4 KB · Views: 132
Start out with a naked fatty (or 2). Easy and soooo good. Just buy a breakfast sausage log, unwrap it and smoke to 165 internal.

If it will make you feel better send me $20.00 and I will send you the secrets to fatties and pork butts.

Good choice with the WSM...use the Minion Method or something similar, and you'll be on your way to a great first cook!

I say a fatty and a butt... That way you get to have the fatty while the butt is still smoking and getting your first shoulder to pull is a great feeling! So that's my recommendation!

Oh and btw... go easy on the smoke for ur first go.. the first time I smoked something I killed it with smoke! You only need to smoke for the first couple hours! :thumb:

Good luck brother! Looking forward to seeing how it goes.. :becky:
Cheers

Sounds like a plan. I'll probably throw a couple of butts on, along with a fatty or two. Man.. I cannot wait.

Not sure how my wife will feel about the fattie. She's a "picky" eater who is more inclined to veggies, but i'm hoping that the Que will convince her otherwise.

My wife is a health nut too but every time I pull out a fatty she can't keep her hands off of it. :shock: If not, then more for you. :-D Slice up the leftovers and freeze em', then you can just pull them out when you need them. Omelets, ABT's, Chili, the possibilities are endless. That's the beauty of the naked fatty!

A naked fatty or two are very inexpensive to start with and really tough to fubar too badly.

For traditional barbecue, I highly suggest starting with either a 8-9# boston butt or picnic (aka. shoulder). They're fairly hard to mess up too.

Back