Allergic to Sugar.

Sea Dog

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I need some help. I have an uncle who I want to cook some bbq for. (He's stepped in and helped me and my mom a lot since my dad died, so i want to do something nice for him). Anyway, he's allergic to sugar. Anything with sugar in it gives him migranes.

Now...evey rub recipe I have seen has sugar in it. But surely i havent seen em all! Lol! I was wondering if any of you could recommend a good home-made rub I can make myself that doesnt need sugar in it.

thanks!

:cool:

Just try pepper and saltmaybe some herbs or spices. Is he allergic to all sugar or just refine?

Try a Puerto Rican seasoning salt - Sazon... (Goya sells a pre-made one)

Try a homemade version

1/2 cup kosher salt
2 tablespoons each of black pepper, cumin, oregano, garlic powder

if you want some color or a different version altogether add in some paprika and/or chili powder

How about Splenda? Is that OK? I have done experiments with Splenda in BBQ rubs, cooks up real good in fact. Also works in sauces the exact same as sugar.

bigabyte, the Splenda sweet taste is the same but it doesn't caramelize/crust up like the sugar would.

Seadog, you can still make some mighty tasty Que with a rub as simple as salt and pepper. Good for you for giving back to the people who have been generous to you!!

Splenda is made from sugar, so I would do some digging into that before trying it out. Here's something from their website:

Q: Is SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener made from sugar?
A: Sucralose, or SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener, is made from a patented multi-step process that begins with sugar (sucrose). Three hydrogen-oxygen groups on the sugar molecule are replaced with three chlorine atoms. Although the process for making sucralose begins with sugar, sucralose is not sugar and is not broken down for energy. This is why it has no calories.

That was why I asked about the Splenda. It is a sugar, but an undigestible sugar. so it basically just passes right throguh you, never getting absorbed. It has Maltodextrin as a filler though and is the source of a trace amount of calories. The serving size on the package says zero calories, but that is because the fractional amount of claories is legally able to be listed as zero.

It does not carmelize, but makes a good product. Better than no sugar in my opinion.

I'd just go with salt and pepper maybe a little cayenne for a kick.

I agree with trp1fox. Salt, pep, maybe a little bit of garlic and onion powders, cayenne, paprika. Keep it light. Use sweet woods like cherry, apple, peach, pecan. I do this for myself when I low carb. This is just my .02 of course. There are much more experienced guys here than me.

I've used splenda in rubs before with success. However, I should mention that my most recent ribs were down with freshly ground pepper, lots of salt, cayenne, granulated garlic, and a little but of coriander. No sauce. Multiple people, who've had a fair amount of my bbq, including ribs, said these were the best they've had. They did come out damn good.

I've used splenda in rubs before with success. However, I should mention that my most recent ribs were down with freshly ground pepper, lots of salt, cayenne, granulated garlic, and a little but of coriander. No sauce. Multiple people, who've had a fair amount of my bbq, including ribs, said these were the best they've had. They did come out damn good.

Did you use any kind of mop or spray for them? I ask because I've been thinking about this thread all evening, making myself hungry over the thought of spares done like this with maybe a butter and Guinness basting spray.

Does your uncle have any adverse reactions to beer/stout, Sea Dog? The Guinness and butter spray could build up to a nice glaze.

Ask if it is just refined sugar. If so then ask if he has an allergy to honey. If not then use honey!

What about substituting a corn syrup product such as Karo for sugar in a recipe???

How Paul Kirk does it...

From "Paul Kirk's Championship Barbeque Sauces"... page 64

Sugarless Texas Sprinkle Barbeque Rub
"A smooth blend of spices with no sugar. A tablespoon of cayenne gives this rub a good wallup".

1/3 cup salt
1/4 cup paprika
3 tablespoon chili powder
2 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon cayenne

Combine all the ingredients in a sifter, and sift to blend well. Store in an airtight jar in the refridgerator for 2 to 3 weeks or in the freezer for up to 6 months.

How to use it
Sprinkle this rub very heavy on your brisket, ribs, pork, chicken or fish. This rub can be used on both grilled meats and barbeque cooked over indirect heat because of the absence of sugar in the rub. (end of recipe)

Tried it on pulled pork and ribs... the guests left nothing but bones and groans of full bellies.

Last edited:
From "Paul Kirk's Championship Barbeque Sauces"... page 64

Sugarless Texas Sprinkle Barbeque Rub
"A smooth blend of spices with no sugar. A tablespoon of cayenne gives this rub a good wallup".

I use a variation of this on all of the meats that I smoke. It has a great flavor and I figure that any sugar will come from the mop sauce if I put one on.

That was why I asked about the Splenda.

FYI, Splenda and Sucralose are not really the same thing, and be careful. Sucralose is the good stuff. Splenda, like Equal and "Sweet and Low" is a very small amount of non-nutritive sweetner mix with...wait for it, sugar! They call it dextrose, but it's just a different nutrivie sweetner. They get away with it because since it's under 5 calories and under .5 grams of carbohydrates per PACKET, they can put 0 for both numbers. Maybe the big packets are different, but last time I looked at Splenda branded stuff, it was mostly sugar.

dmp

Hi folks,

I need some help. I have an uncle who I want to cook some bbq for. (He's stepped in and helped me and my mom a lot since my dad died, so i want to do something nice for him). Anyway, he's allergic to sugar. Anything with sugar in it gives him migranes.

Now...evey rub recipe I have seen has sugar in it. But surely i havent seen em all! Lol! I was wondering if any of you could recommend a good home-made rub I can make myself that doesnt need sugar in it.

thanks!

:cool:

It looks like you have had some good ideas so far....

I can relate, because I am allergic to, ready for this.... pork. :eek: YES...PORK, like in pig.....

I can handle it while prepping, cooking, pulling, etc... but I HAVE to wear gloves, and as soon as I am done, I have to wash up pasted my elbows or anywhere the pork may have touched me. If I get it to my mouth, I am in MAJOR trouble.... almost instant migraine.... for days....

It took me probably around 4 yrs to learn what to look for, and ask when ever we go out shopping or go out to eat. Going out to eat has got to be the worst challenge. Almost every place cooks everything on the same griddles, etc... and the same cooking utensils.

If in doubt, ask, and you will get the answer you need, if in doubt, don't use it. Like it already has been mentioned, use a blend of spices and just leave the sugar out. Allergies are nothing to play with and experiment wondering if something will work.

Back