View Single Post
Old 11-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
Bacon
is One Chatty Farker

Default Bacon's T-Day Feast {Sponsored by Evan Williams}

Well, I had a frozen turkey thaw in the bottom rack of the fridge for about 4 days and planned on smoking it. Though I only have a kettle and I really dont have all of the time to do a whole bird. I decided to cut the breast plate out and also the wings and legs. The wings and legs I will use for greens in the future when I cook them.

Googled the proper way to do this and stumbled upon this site. You all might know him around here by the name of thirdeye.

I knew I was at the right place.

While performing surgery on this bird I knew immediately that I have made the same mistake many of several times by not buying utility shears when I had the opp.

I had to use a cheap serrated knife to saw through the bones. Didnt take too much effort but more than I wanted to lean into it.

Finally got it trimmed how I wanted, and cut off the legs and wings. Made up a rub I found after googling for one. Pulled the skin back on the legs and also on the breasts. Seasoned the meat and then the skin as I pulled it back in place.

I didnt leave as much skin on either as I now know, but still in all it was looking good.

Put em all on the kettle at about 320, K and apple wood. Followed the guide and pulled at 155.

During this process. I made my moms 5 generation Dressing, homemade Potato casserole, homemade Pumpkin pie, English peas, Giblet gravy ...

I double smoked my ham on sunday with Jack Daniels hickory chips, so that has been waiting on me in the fridge.

And after all of this, I now have a greater respect for my mother, my grandmother, and all of those that cook for Thanksgiving. It takes a lot of time ( and timing ) to get all of this stuff together and to taste good.

I started around 11 a.m. ate at 11 p.m. and immediatedly feel asleep. I spoke silly in a woodpile thread by Ron L, pertaining to nothing at all,
(Evan Williams mod) and it was clearly pointed out by our own trp1fox, but there was a truth in that post.

"And Whiskey minutes are a tad longer than a regular minutes."

Thats a huge reason for falling asleep so fast after eating. Didnt eat during the day neither.

After all of the story, heres the pron.....

22.5" Weber OTG
Kenmore gasser
1 Super-Fast Sunkist Orange Thermapen
Hungry Apt neighbors
Certified MOINK Baller

"Anything wrapped in Bacon has to beat not wrapped in Bacon!" - Desert Dweller / circa ~ 09-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote