First competition

thunderbelly

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
It's coming, quickly I might add. Our first pro competition is fast approaching. We have smoked everything we plan on entering, read most every tip on this board studied a lot of pictures gone over a few checklists, stocked up on beer.
We are entering ribs, shoulder brisket and chicken. I expect to do well in ribs and chicken and over the half way mark in the other two. In our first competition (Amateur event) we were scored within 6 points of the Canadian champions by the SAME judges one day after they had scored the champions.
anyhow though open to any last minute tips and advice and wish us luck. Lots of pics and hopefully a story or two coming soon

thunderbelly, Good Luck to you, hopefully a few calls along witht he pics and stories.

I'd say hope for the best, prepare to not finish as high as you think. I don't want you disappointed in your first comp... And if you do walk, you'll just be that much more thrilled!

and I always like the advise Todd from Pepperitaville gives new competitors... Make sure your chicken is on by midnight!

The key here is too set obtainable goals and to fun. If you don't have fun why cook a contest anymore? It's your first contest so don't expect to win grand champion. If it happens that's wonderful, but don't carry the expectation and then be dissapointed. That kills all the fun. When you become more experienced obviously your expectations will rise but don't rob yourself of the joy of your first contest by setting goals that are too lofty.

Hey, Good Luck, make the brethren proud :-D I'm competing for the first time too, non pro...lol, have fun!!

I'm sorry WannaBeBBQueen and Thunderbelly. I almost forgot to wish you both the best of luck and that you both have lots and lots of fun.

Have a great time and let us know how it went.

Did anyone tell you this was addictive?? :redface:

TIM

Just don't set your expectations so high that you set yourself up for disappointment and be proud of your doings if you at least finish in the top 50% of the bunch.
Good Luck and have a load of fun!!

River City Smokehouse said:
Just don't set your expectations so high that you set yourself up for disappointment and be proud of your doings if you at least finish in the top 50% of the bunch.

Our first comp, we had the goal of just not coming in DAL in anything (we'd never been to a comp prior). We didn't come in last, and did ok in a couple categories... We were hooked, and still are!

River City Smokehouse said:

Well siad. I dido what River City Smokehouse siad.

Hey my honest expectations are to be in the competition and cook in all four categories. I hope my ribs do good but a walk would be a bonus for that. This isn't even going to ba a learning curve, more of a cliff I think.
Thanks for all the good wishes and I will keep everyone updated

Bottom line: Cook the way you usually cook - if you're pleased with the results, well then you've done your best ON THAT DAY!:-D

Do the evaluation after the event, not during!!:rolleyes:

Pack everything you can so you can make your site feel like home. Take two of the most important things. Don't forget anything!!! Check you meat every 30 minutes to make sure it's still cooking. Cook twice as much as you'll need. Concentrate only on what you are doing. Don't talk or listen to anyone else. Don't drink. Expect to win every category.Yell "fix" everytime somebody else wins something. And most of all, "DON'T MAKE ANY NEW FRIENDS!!!"

Now make sure you do the opposite of everything I just said. Our team motto is "Have fun and don't come in last!"

Good Luck!

Best of luck guys, as everyone says #1 is to have fun. My brother and I did our first competition a few weeks ago and got crushed. We both are very competitive and were very upset for a day or two until I joined this site and started talking to some of the brothers we had met. It was 100% support and advice (mainly practice, practice, practice) but also to learn from the guys who have been there. I can not wait until next year, we are planning and practicing every day. We might not win but we sure will have an awesome time. Again, good luck.

Good luck, Running in the middle of the pack is not bad so, like the rest of the guys said, don't set them sites to high. and have fun,

i am doing my first cook in a few weeks also so i am trying to hone up on everything. everyone seems to be great about advice so lord knows I will be asking questions.

Good luck to those of you with upcoming cooks. I just did my first one 2 weeks ago. I finished middle of the pack and was pleased with that. I had fun doing it. As turn in time approached I got a little nervous, but once I turned in my first box I was good to go. We had a good time, met some good people, and are getting ready to do our second cook the end of this month.
Stick to what you know and have fun. That's what it's all about.

Back