knives

johnmiller

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
I am looking for three knives, one for slicing brisket, one for slicing ribs, and one for trimming, what would you recommend?

For slicing brisket, I use the Wusthof Grand Slicer from the Mid-Atlantic Barbeque Association.

For slicing ribs, I either use the Wusthof, or my old carbon steel Gyuto Chef knife

For trimming, I use a 6" stiff boning knife from Dexter-Russel Sani-safe, or a small caping knife, similar to Schrade Old-timer Sharpfinger, except mine is hand made

For brisket you really can't do any better than the Wusthof classic super slicer in my opinion, personally I prefer the 10" serrated version with the rounded end. I think you'll be pleased with any of the Wusthof ones though...

WU4532.jpg

Last edited:
Dexter Russell V-Lo Duo Edge 12 or 14 inch slicer easy to keep sharp holds edge good
under 50.00 wont brake the bank made in the USA

Victornox 3" & 6" semi stiff boning knives. Trim & prep
Victornox 10" scimitar Brisket & Rib disassembly
Messimeister 7" suntoko General prep also makes a good slicer

I have the 12" slicer which I haven't used yet and the 8" chefs (both Victorinox) that I'm quickly falling in love with.

I want to grab the 6" boning knife too and I think I'll be set then.

I only use two knives. Victorinox 12" granton slicer and a 6" deboner knife. But I don't trim huge pieces just touch up briskest, cut st.loius style. Slicer makes turkey's a breeze.

Those are the exact two up there.

Victorinox 12" granton slicer for brisket has been an excellent weapon for me.

Their 8" chef knife and 6" curved thick blade trimmer work wonders on most everything else.

I keep them in a drawer block that my family knows to stay away from.

I was also given a Wustof Grand Prix II 6" chef knife for Christmas by my mom. It is sweet.

The Victorinox brand is about the best in stamped blades that I've found. Edges hold very well and they are fairly priced.

That 12" was a game-changer for my brisket cooks, though.

It's in the background in this recently cooked pork loin pic:

Best possible bang for your buck
11.8 Gyuto-Fujiwara made.
Master of slicing brisket, but also most other jobs requiring a blade in the kitchen
Img536.jpg

Petty knife
Img233.jpg

and the best tool for job I own
The Boning knife...unbelievable!!
Img609.jpg

The Victorinox forged series hold an edge better than the stamped ones but you a limited selection of styles. Plus, they cost more...

Japanese knives

Speaking of great knives. Once we get our joint up and running, if anyone is able to make the journey over here, we could make a 2 hour road trip up to Seki city in Gifu prefecture, the hub of Japanese cutlery production since the 13th century.

All are great knifes.
I have a 35 year old set of Chicago Cutlery.
They are great.
No matter how great they are, you are going to need to keep them sharp.
Sorry, no knife will stay sharp forever :icon_shy
I have a Chef's Choice 130 Professional Knife-Sharpening Station.
Not the cheapest knife sharpener, but wii not break the bank:razz:
Give your knifes some love, and you will love them:wink:

THIS !! except I don't have the chef knife ......yet!!

A little late but here is pics of my dexters.
the only 9" santuko I've seen.

Attachments

• 20140127_093114.jpg
    20140127_093114.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20140127_093143.jpg
    20140127_093143.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 32
Back