First brisket cook on the Yoder YS1500

unixadm

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I was grocery shopping the other day and passed the brisket flats. I decided to just buy one at a premium price and give it a try this weekend. I have cooked a lot of BBQ, but not many briskets. This will only be my third one and the other two were whole packers that came out really good.

I trimmed some of the fat and silver skin off of the flat and injected it. I kept the injection pretty simple with beef stock, worcester sauce, a little soy and some rub. For the rub I used Plow Boys Bovine Bold.

It's about 45 minutes from needing to be wrapped at this point and is looking pretty good. I'm cooking with Cookinpellets 100% Hickory. I did put in my 18" smoking tube for about 30 minutes before I pulled it out. I decided I wanted to see what the YS1500 would do without adding additional smoke. I'm cooking at a grate temp of around 250 degrees. Will wrap at 160 degrees and cook to around 200 with a little beef stock and rub for good measure. Cooking fat cap down because I felt like it. :)

IMG_0151.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

More pics later after it finishes up. For now, it's back to grouting tile.

Last edited:
Looks like a tank - looking forward to the pics, excellent looking piece of equipment and the brisket looks like it's off to a good start!

The brisket took about six hours all together. The YS1500 was running a little hot today so it finished a little earlier than expected. I rested it in my Breville countertop oven at 130 degrees for about two hours prior to slicing to serve myself an early dinner.

I put the brisket in a half size steam pan at 160 degrees with some more beef stock, Worchester and water. When it was cooking I spritzed it probably six or so times with the same mixture with some water added in.

Pulled at 215 degrees because I was grouting tile with Pandora playing and I didn't hear my temp alarm going off. Crap! Like I said, it cooked faster than I was expecting. However, the brisket came out awesome. Great bark, nice smoke ring, great texture, great pull, good moisture and great taste. Really hit a home run with this one. Perfect balance of flavors for me with a nice smokiness. I used some EAT BBQ sauce with it but honestly it didn't really need any sauce.

First picture is when I put it in the foil pan to be cooked to it's final IT. Second and third pictures are after resting and slicing. I ate wayyyy too much brisket, that's all I'm gonna say.

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

Simple injection plus Bovine Bold is a winner in my book. I'm going to cube some up and save it for chili. I'll try to same recipe in the Assassin 28 when it shows up to compare the flavor.

That's a purty brisket! Did you foil the pan?

That is a nice hunk of meat, well played!

Wow that looks good.

And your Yoder looks like something that's ready to do battle in the Thunderdome!

If that is your first pellet smoker, you will notice stuff cooks faster with its increased airflow from the fan.

Good looking brisket. I do like that 1500 a lot. The cart just says "I'm a bad mother farker"

haha. No, the YS1500 is my fifth pellet cooker. My issue was it was overrunning it's set temperature fairly significantly today for some reason. I'm installing a replacement controller from Yoder with a new firmware next week to see if it helps.

The YS1500 is nicely built. It's a heavy sucker but it's built extremely heavy duty.

Very Nice Brisket. Glad you posted because i have a 6# flat going in Tuesday.

Awesome Cooker!

firmware? Yoder YS1500

haha. No, the YS1500 is my fifth pellet cooker. My issue was it was overrunning it's set temperature fairly significantly today for some reason. I'm installing a replacement controller from Yoder with a new firmware next week to see if it helps.

The YS1500 is nicely built. It's a heavy sucker but it's built extremely heavy duty.

What firmware are you currently running and what firmware will you be getting next week? Thanks

The controller that came with the YS1500 was running b19. They have sent me a new controller running b20. The reason I got a replacement controller is the original seemed to have a button that was soldered on too high and it's creating a dimple on the control overlay. I did not get a chance to install it today, so I'll have to do it Christmas morning.

I don't know about B19 or B20, or firmware, but I know a good looking brisket when I see it, and THAT is a good looking brisket!

Back