• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I honestly don't know ....

letdasmokeroll

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have cooked a few briskets from Walmart ...every time they turned out GREAT ...everyone loved them ...my question is ....is there really that much of a difference between regular briskets from Walmart or the prime ones that sell for big $...cant wait to see the responses you guys have

I have never cooked the Waygus The Walmart/Sams ones work just fine for me.. lol and i do cook comps.. finished the last comp i did 14/50 so i did ok with a regular Briskey

A very frequent topic here.

The "quality" of the marbling is key.
Not so much the grading or source.

JMHO

TIM

Agree 100%.

To note, I cooked select, choice and prime so far. Not much of a difference with choice and select. However, the prime that I did was indeed different def due in part to the marbilization. It was tender, moist and flavorful and def better than choice and select for obvious reasons. I just scored two Wagyu's and will report on those since it will be my first time doing Wagyu brisket.

Here is a pic of the marbilization in the prime flat. I snapped it to show the fat content.

20130928_102627.jpg

I have only seen a big difference when comparing choice/select/prime to wagyu. You can't really compare anything to wagyu marbling. That being said, for everything else just find the right brisket (nice consistently thick flat with a good bend to the meat). The rest is in the prep and the cook.

I used to cook the regular old Walmart packers, then started buying the choice at Sam's. I have not had a choice brisket turn out good yet, so I'm not sure what I'll do next summer....

If you a good cook you can make a horse turd taste good, If you a bad cook the most expensive meat will taste like chit

If you a good cook you can make a horse turd taste good, If you a bad cook the most expensive meat will taste like chit

Not so sure on that -- maybe make a psuedo meat like chicken taste good but Horse Turds???

I have cooked a few briskets from Walmart ...every time they turned out GREAT ...everyone loved them ...my question is ....is there really that much of a difference between regular briskets from Walmart or the prime ones that sell for big $...cant wait to see the responses you guys have
so far, I really haven't been able to tell the difference in the ones I have done. The first one I did was an 8lb from a local specialty type grocery store called Jungle Jim's (want a one off cheese from Germany? They are the store to go to). I paid roughly 40 bucks for the brisket. My second brisket I did was a 6lb from Sam's Club. They were really about the same in quality and Sam's was cheaper.

Back