Has KCBS Changed Rules On Soda & Coffee Before Judging?

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
At a recent comp a KCBS rep made a special point to bring up a new rule banning consumption of soda or coffee on the day of judging, implying that a even a cup of coffee with breakfast is now a no-no. When did this begin and how can this be enforced? Honor system?

Shortly thereafter there was a reminder to smokers to step outside if they needed a cigarette break between turn-ins. :twitch:

At a recent comp a KCBS rep made a special point to bring up a new rule banning consumption of soda or coffee on the day of judging, implying that a even a cup of coffee with breakfast is now a no-no. When did this begin and how can this be enforced?

Sounds like someone was on a power trip. That is one rule I will have to ignore when judging, since there is no way I'm starting the day out without my coffee and chickory.

Nothing but water during judging. Drink whatever you want before judging except alcohol. I bring a soda with me and drink it up until when we take out sets before the first turn in. About 11:45. Never been told to do otherwise. Keith

I CBJ'd at an contest on 8/03 and that was not mentioned.

The KCBS Rep.'s did mention a new rule about when
entering the contest site, go straight to the judging
area without any contact of any kind with comp teams.

I thought I read somewhere that coffee actually makes a good pallette cleanser.

I've never heard of such a thing! It's not in the latest rules, DLed from their web page, and the only thing I've heard was you can't drink alcohol during judging and you're supposed to smoke outside.

Power trip indeed!

At our CBJ class it was stated they "prefer" you not to have any coffee or soda the morning of judging, as well as not to smoke. (nothing mentioned about smokeless tobacco though) The instructor also said they understand some people really need that morning cup to get kick-started and function. It is not a rule per se, put the preference. Once judging begins however, it is strictly water. Alcohol before or during judging might get you booted from the tent, or at least never allowed to a contest ran by that rep.

At a recent comp a KCBS rep made a special point to bring up a new rule banning consumption of soda or coffee on the day of judging, implying that a even a cup of coffee with breakfast is now a no-no. When did this begin and how can this be enforced? Honor system?

Shortly thereafter there was a reminder to smokers to step outside if they needed a cigarette break between turn-ins. :twitch:

Name of the Rep and contest and date please.
Ed

P.m. me if you don't want to out the rep online.

Huh?

I also heard, "No left turns on the way to the event!" :wacko:

wallace

Name of the Rep and contest and date please.
Ed

P.m. me if you don't want to out the rep online.

I would be very interested in hearing more about this.

I've never heard of such a thing! It's not in the latest rules, DLed from their web page, and the only thing I've heard was you can't drink alcohol during judging and you're supposed to smoke outside ...

I couldn't find anything in the rules either, and each year the changes are in bold to make them easier to spot.

At our CBJ class it was stated they "prefer" you not to have any coffee or soda the morning of judging, as well as not to smoke. (nothing mentioned about smokeless tobacco though) The instructor also said they understand some people really need that morning cup to get kick-started and function. It is not a rule per se, put the preference. Once judging begins however, it is strictly water. Alcohol before or during judging might get you booted from the tent, or at least never allowed to a contest ran by that rep.

Well, maybe "preferred" was the intent of the statement....

Anyways, thanks to everyone for your replies.

I couldn't find anything in the rules either, and each year the changes are in bold to make them easier to spot.

Well, maybe "preferred" was the intent of the statement....

Anyways, thanks to everyone for your replies.

So did this not happen as you said or are you OK with him doing it again this weekend?
If it did happen just as you said, it is wrong and should not be repeated, the Chair of the Rep Committee should be advised so he can remedy the problem.
Ed

We heard this earlier this year as well. Exact same wording. I suspect from the same rep(s). We asked about this when we returned home and apparently the local reps were unaware of this "new rule". We, too, wondered how this would be enforced.

Last edited:
Back