View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Smokeat
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Competition Meat

One of my favorite things in things in the world is buying cheap. I like cooking cheap meat, and making it taste great. I hunt down sales, buy in bulk, always searching out deals.

When considering trying BBQ comps, I am thinking that even with mad "Pitmaster Skillz" (of which I have none), it would be impossible to compete against others who are buying crazy expensive meat, and know the butcher who selects out the best pieces.

When you account for the entry fee, fuel and living expenses, even before buying meat, is it foolish to think you can be competitive without sourcing high quality meat? And is it even worth it?

I know some guys are buying heritage breed pigs, and having farmers finishing them off on a specific diets before butchering, and some are buying Wagyu briskets for a couple hundred bucks each! It hurts me even to type that.

Seems like a lot of time and effort to put out, and I will never be able to spend with the "Big Boys", and I don't want to play just to get my head beaten in every time. Am I wrong, or is all the talk about sourcing quality meats overblown in my simple mind?
Smokeat is offline   Reply With Quote