Jiggly Brisket

speers90

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Nothing to fancy on this brisket cook. I did almost no trimming, used seasoning salt, black pepper, granulated garlic and kosher salt for my rub. Fat cap down (towards the radiant heat) at 275 for 5 hours, wrapped in butcher paper fat cap down and cooked another 1.5 - 2 hours. Let it rest in the cambro for 3.5-4 hours before slicing. Forgot to mention, this was just a choice packer from Wal-Mart.

Let time and temp do there magic.

From this:
picture.php

To this:
picture.php

This one was jiggling and gurgling while I was cutting, please forgive the poor cutting skills displayed I was in a hurry!
picture.php

Looks allot like the one I cooked yesterday, no mater how you slice it it's nothing but Good:-D

That's looks mighty good. Seems like it cooked pretty quick at only 7 hours. You ever do restaurant depot briskests

Actually I cook almost exclusively restaurant depot briskets, I just got a last second request for it and only had time to go to Walmart.

6-8 hours is pretty much my default time anymore with briskets. This one was 13.5 lbs. probably trimmed less than a half a pound off.

Cooked on the MJH? fat side down?

The smoke ring and brisket looks great! I recently switched over to fat side up and my smoke ring is suffering

Cooked on the MJH? fat side down?

The smoke ring and brisket looks great! I recently switched over to fat side up and my smoke ring is suffering

Interesting thing about the MJH that I learned from my rib cook the other day, at least for the way I cook which is 275+, is if you are cooking on the top 2 racks I would put the fat cap up, if you are cooking on the bottom 2 racks put the fat cap down. I am a believer in putting the fat where there will be the most radiant heat.

This cook I had 8 butts on the top 2 racks with the fat caps up and I had the brisket on the 3rd rack with the fat cap down.

Back