• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Truck mounted smoker

A trailer is much more practical. You don't have a vehicle that is single-use that way. A CDL is not that hard to get, but if you didn't want one a U-haul type truck does not require a CDL. There are some of those out there if you look.

Also, you don't want a fuel tank in a cab. There is a reason they don't make them that way anymore.

Assuming you do not have a truck to start with yet, consider finding an E-150/250/350 "cut away" chassis. That would allow for a lower floor height. You can have the same engines as the F series vehicles as well. As stated just above, look at the 10 ft. "apartment mover" size box truck from U-Haul. Starting there could save a lot of time fabricating from scratch.

I think it's a cool idea and very doable. I would run it by your insurance company or DOT just to make sure it's ok to do. Then you can work out the details down the road. I'd go with a chasis that had an 8' bed on it so you're not cramped for space so you're looking at an F150 or C1500. I think simply using diamond plate to cover the bed and wrap it over the fuel tank will ensure no sparks or heat finds it way near the tank will work just fine. I can picture a 250 gallon propane tank on the frame and a firebox sitting down between the frame rails on the back with a custom diamond plate bed. Damn, that'd be sweet!!!

1358994127-0.jpg

I now have new ideas for future lottery ticket winnings!

hm this will come together quite nicely all i need is a truck, a job (only a freshman), and to get the old lincoln 300 arc welder from my grandfathers house with a box of sticks and this should go swimmingly given i dont break anything and whatnot. also what will the dot do if everything on it is within any codes for vehicle specs say you cant have that because i dont have one seriously what could go wrong in that department

I'd be worried if things get out of hand the trucks Fuel tank may ruin your day.:shock:
Thank you. I was going to ask how close the fire box would be to the fuel tank.

The truck bed will be higher off the ground and may be too high for a convenient cooker unless you provide a platform to stand on.

The other down side is the truck now becomes a single tasker. I'd stick with a smoker on a trailer, personally.

Jesus crist 2 grand for that! I could probably make that for like 200-600 dollars how are they even askin' 2 freakin grand for a smoker with a 2 inch hitch welded to it wtf!

Like This?

The cooker for Acme BBQ Team from Madison, IN -- good folks and good BBQ....

6140454496_70142be9de_b_d.jpg

They get quite a few calls, and quite a few second looks. Wish I could find a better pic, but you get the idea.

That's kinda like what I was going for shouldn't be too hard to recreate. I'd also like to see if I could get 15-18 highway

Back