BBQ Guru Hole Placement in Kettle Grill

W

wimberly1951

I have ordered a NanoQ. BBQ Guru recommends that the hole for the adapter to be drilled below the charcoal grate, but I saw somewhere that someone recommended putting it above the charcoal grate and below the cooking grate.

Any suggestions or advice based on your experience.

Thanks

On a WSM, the pit adapter would normally go through one of the holes on a vent wheel, which is located right above the charcoal grate.

On a Weber kettle, the intake vents are below the charcoal grate, that is where I would put the adapter.

In the past I've read this: http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/thermometer_buying_guide.html#partyq

Where he suggests:
On the Weber Kettle, the blower needs to go through a 1" hole that you drill in the grill. Their website and printed materials show it mounted at the bottom, below the charcoal grate, but that is on a Weber Smokey Mountain. I had problems with ash getting into the fan and with it blowing ash around down there. Since then I have drilled several holes in my old trusty 15 year old kettle testing locations (now I have an excuse to buy a new Weber Performer Kettle!), and, if your lid fits tightly, it can go pretty much anywhere between the cooking grate and the charcoal grate

So if I ever would get one (no matter which make) I would fit it between my cooking grate and charcoal grate.

BBQGuru is correct. You should place the blower below charcoal grate. It's important to allow the air to blow downwards and circulate around the bowl. I compete with two 22.5 Weber Kettles powered by a Cyber QII. I have not witnessed blowing ash. I've also gotten many top 5 calls, using this set up. I do use hardwood charcoal. I would stay away from usineg briquettes if you are concerned with blowing ash.

Back