New smoker dilemma

Jammer

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
So I am looking at getting new cooker. I currently have a runof the mill horizontal smoker and looking for an upgrade. I have been looking at several options right now each with their pros and cons. I am considering a Rebel Smoker, Hasty Bake and a drum smoker. I am curious what people here would recommend.

I do not do any competition smoking but I do like cooking big cuts of meats but also like just doing basic chicken and ribs. I want something that can burn for a while so I am not always tending the fire.

Thoughts and suggestions greatly appriciated!

I would definitely recommend a Weber Smokey Mountain, for a number of reasons:

* It is not a particularly expensive cooker (not cheap though), but has fantastic construction and when you register it, Weber are awesome if something is bent or missing in replacing it.
* After a few smokes it maintains great temperature (you need to get a few smokes in to apply a layer of grease).
* While not as insulated as an egg, it is reasonably good at keeping the wind out. For very windy days you will want a windshield though.
* You can do pretty much anything on it apart from whole hog, and I have even seen someone d a suckling pig on one. ;-)
* There is a large community of Weber Smokey Mountain fans online who can share tips and tricks for using it. It is the most popular smoker on BBQpad too - http://www.bbqpad.com/popular/

I would recommend the 22" version if you are doing ribs very often as you can lay them out and don't need to pinwheel them.

If you want a small project that will result in an inexpensive yet efficient smoker go with a UDS. If you want to start cooking immediately and don't want to deal with a new project I recommend WSM. I just built a UDS and am loving it. I've had it going on 1 1/4 bags of KBB for over 28 hours and still running. I have no idea how long this is going to go but it's a test and so far it's passing with flying colors.

WSM is hands down the best bang for your buck. 10 year warranty, A+ customer service, can remove the middle section and use as a kettle.

I have a 1980 18.5 wsm and it is still going strong, 33 years young wow. The only mod i made to my 18.5 is convert it to a 22" wsm.

WSM is the way to go . I can set mine up and put meat on . Once I got my vents all set to correct temp . I can go to bed and not worry . Basically set it and forget it .

UDS and a Mini WSM, Big cook and Small ones or just extra space for the Moinks & ABT's

If the rebel is anything like my stumps Id go that route, WSM and drums are nice but i''l start my gravity fed up any day before i bother with the wsm.

Cooks the same every time, weather, rain snow wind, nothing bothers it. even feeds itself charcoal, so I can feed myself beer!

UDS. Cheap to make, efficient and pretty much unaffected by adverse weather. Add a second rack and you got more capacity and more cooking options such as a diffuser/water pan for those tricky meats.

If I had a spot to put a 500lb smoker .. I would most surely own a rebel or a stumps. When I did my research, I found that the Rebel had some subtle details I preferred to the Stumps but I can't address if build quality is better one way or the other.

I have a drum, but found that I wanted something more. I wound up getting a Green Egg. I really enjoy it. Efficient on charcoal .. crispy skin on chicken, great ribs and pulled pork, pizza .. and the XL has plenty of room.

If you like the hasty bake - check this out .. something else I had considered at one point.. http://shaller-bbq.com/

the other smokers are nice, but if you build your own drum you get the satisfaction of saying I built that and look what I can cook on it.

I would say mini wsm or wsm, or a uds if you prefer that. The pit barrel cooker is also now priced at 269. Rebels seem like excellent smokers, but no need to drop thousands on one until you've cut your teeth on something simple.

Back