Another UDS Build With Pics

looks like big black. My first drum that I built and sold to help fund my trailer build. Miss you big black. You will love your new drum. whats the first cook going to be?

looks like big black. My first drum that I built and sold to help fund my trailer build. Miss you big black. You will love your new drum. whats the first cook going to be?

I think during the seasoning I am going to throw on a fatty (something else I learned about here) I hate to waste the charcoal, and then the this weekend I plan on doing some BB's

I could not wait any longer!! I lit up the kb and let her go for an hour and threw on some legs and thighs.

I put the chicken on too soon at around 275 then bumped it up to 350+ for about an hour and a half. It tasted great but the skin was too chewy, very juicy though live and learn.

Overall I am very impressed with the UDS it came up to temp quick even in 30 degree temps and it responded very well to inlet adjustments.

Nice job on the UDS build, kid... And good to see you let your dad help out! :pound:

I fired up the drum around 7:30 pm to do my season burn and cook some chicken. I went out around 11:30 and cleaned up the grate and just left one valve barley cracked just to see what it would do overnight. At 6:30 am I came out to leave for work and checked on the temp it was at 230. When I came home for lunch at noon it was down to 190 so I opened up the lid to look in and was surprised to see some coal still left in the basket. I opened up both valves wide open and by 1 it was back up to 250. My wife came home at 4 and it was down to 190. I am still amazed at the temp this thing held!

IMAG0222.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg

Ok...did I miss something? Cant tell what adjustable part you speak of and I wants one .LOL

Same here. Just got back from Lowe's with the supplies. Awesome idea. Thanks.

Chad

I can't take the credit for this guys, I saw it on here first. Actually I was not even planning using that. I had bought all the ss hardware and when my brother and i were working on it he was like hey I have this shelving stuff here and I was like heck ya I remember seing that being used let's do it.

I will post some better shots of the brackets later.

Ok...did I miss something? Cant tell what adjustable part you speak of and I wants one .LOL

Here is a shot of the shelf bracket used 3 pieces. We only ran it down to the top of the fire basket, no need to really go much lower.

eab431634a87846958d7dc0f2cfc9960.jpg

87b9cac86ad9a0f617248b580424a470.jpg

Here's a little more detail. I did this today. Thanks again for the idea.

I went to Lowe's and got some adjustable shelf hardware from the closet section.

I trimmed the shelf rails down to 18" and made 3 of them. I then tack welded them in the drum.

The stock shelf supports were to long so I trimmed them down as well to 2" from the rail slots.

Here is one rail and support complete.

All three in place with the rack at the top most level.

Decided to do the same thing down lower if I want to use a water bowl (ECB bowl pictured), or even a diffuser. Supports are 4.5" long with a little notch cut in the tip to keep the bowl from sliding around and falling of the supports.

All together ready for meat. Again, awesome idea and I think it will be the new standard for UDS builds. At least all my future builds will have it. I can't say thank you enough.

Chad

Ok ..my bad..I was looking at the grate not through it..didnt see the shelf rail..thats a very good idea...thanks for the pics

Budman, out of curiosity is that mini (which looks pretty to me) a 15 gallon drum? How tall is the barrel itself?

Sorry for the delay, been busy at work, the mini is 26 1/2" tall and whatever diameter, roughly 14", Weber smokey joe parts fit almost perfect. - grate, lid..I did a pastrami last Saturday on it, I really like it for smaller smokes.

Thanks, Budman! It sounds like that would be high enough to be used for low temp direct heat smoking.

Thanks, Budman! It sounds like that would be high enough to be used for low temp direct heat smoking.

Definitely, I did the pastrami direct, no deflector, turned out great. Reuben's made with pastrami ....mmmmmm......

Back