• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Some smoked 2 pound Turkey Legs with Pr0n

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Granite City, Illinois (Near St. Louis "GO CARDS")
"Smoke & Beers" posted this Turkey Leg recipe a while back. I smoked 6 two pound turkey legs today and used his recipe shown below. These legs are HUGE!

IMG_4212.jpg

IMG_4213.jpg

IMG_4227.jpg

BEST DAMNED TURKEY LEGS...EVER
Ingredients:
8 - 12 turkey legs
Brine:
1 gallon water
1 C. kosher salt
1/2 C. sugar
2 Tbsp onion powder
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp ground pepper
1 tsp rubbed sage
1 tsp ground cumin

Instructions:
Rinse turkey legs in cold water, pat dry. For brine, combine brine ingredients in large pan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover, and let cool to room temperature. Pour into container (a large Rubbermaid container with lid works well) and refrigerate brine until cold (approximately 35-40 degrees F).
Place the turkey legs into brine. Let soak four to six hours. Remove legs, rinse well, and discard brine. Dry drumsticks well with paper towels.

Turkey Drumstick “wet rub”:
3 Tbsp onion powder
2 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp rubbed sage
3 Tbsp vegetable or light olive oil
In small bowl, combine spice rub ingredients with fork until well mixed. Rub onto turkey legs. Let drumsticks sit out for about one hour. Place turkey legs into smoker at 225 degrees F. A light-flavored wood is best for turkey. Apple wood works well and so does cherry wood.
Smoke legs for four to six hours, until meat is nearly falling off the bone. Remove legs from smoker, and let rest for half an hour. Devour greedily.

Looks great! I like the casters on your WSM, it looks like they would provide more stability than a single wheel. Where did you find the triple wheel caster?

I'm gonna have to try your method. I smoked turkey legs once, and I wasn't real impressed.

Yours look good, though :icon_smile_tongue:

I actually brined them for 10 hours. It was cold enough outside, so I just put the ziploc bags with the brine & legs in the back of my truck overnight. That way I didn't have to clear out a spot in the fridge. I didn't cook to temp either. I did just like the recipe said. Cook until it came off the bone easy. They were on there for 5 hours and still moist inside. This was my 1st time smoking turkey legs.

2 pound Turkey Legs

Hey Poppa, Where in the world did you find those turkey legs? I've been looking all over the world for them and can't seem to find them that size uncooked.

Back