Brown bag chuck... Faux burnt ends (pron)

shirknwrk

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Wanted to make some "burnt ends" from a 4.3 lb. chuck roll and test the idea of using a heavy grocery bag instead of foil or butcher paper. 10am... Egg full of Royal Oak and 3 baseball sized chunks of oak buried in the lump. Guru held temp. at 275°. Chuck roll liberally (sorry Tea Party) coated with SM "Peppered Cow." Pizza stone on the "spider" as an indirect piece. Smoked uncovered until 160° internal. Placed on trivet in disposable Weber grill pan. Poured 1/2 " "pertneer bilin' " water (from kettle) in the bottom of the pan (not touching the meat). Slid everything into a large grocery bag and tucked the top underneath. Stuck probes through the paper into the roast. Went in like buttah... frozen buttah! Took a nap. Two hours later the grid temp was holding steady at 275° but the internal temp. had risen only 3° Welcome to the stall. Another hour and half the the internal temp. was finally at 170... Unwrapped the meat and probed. Still tough. Beautiful brown bark, though. Gonna be a LATE supper. Cut the chuck in two... added more hot water to pan and foiled. (Sorry Myron). Bumped temp. up to 325° Getting dark when the smaller of the two pieces finally showed 195°... Impatient, I pulled both pieces and cut into irregular chunks (Never thought little square cubes looked like real burnt ends.) Divided meat into two Webber pans and added 1/2 can beef broth, 1/2 a large chopped onion, garlic powder and more Peppered Cow to each pan. Added mixture of Cowtown, Blues Hog Regular and Blues Hog Tennessee Red to one pan. Returned both to the Egg at 350° an hour later my spousal unit demanded nourishment (She'd nuked a baked potato and doctored some spinach). Pulled the unsauced pan. Amazing. Meat still a bit chewy but the Peppered Cow plus the garlic and onion gave the smoked beef a flavor I hope to duplicate. We ate over half a pan full. Left the sauced pan on another hour. Sampled it for breakfast... Good burnt ends taste... bark reminded me of Bryants burnt ends years ago.

Next time: #1 Use hickory chunks and more of them... Needed more smoke. #2 Skip the bag and foil after 160... bark might soften a bit but it's going to be sauced or covered with broth, anyway. #3 Use a bigger chuck... much bigger... Spending all day on 4# meat is crazy when you could have 12#

Attachments

• IMG_0368a Chuckie seasoned.jpg
    IMG_0368a Chuckie seasoned.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0369a Chuckie before bagging.jpg
    IMG_0369a Chuckie before bagging.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0370a Into the bag.jpg
    IMG_0370a Into the bag.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0372a Recycle bag.jpg
    IMG_0372a Recycle bag.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0373a Out of the bag.jpg
    IMG_0373a Out of the bag.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0374a Chuck halves.jpg
    IMG_0374a Chuck halves.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_0375a Foiled.jpg
    IMG_0375a Foiled.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_0376a Two pans of chuck.jpg
    IMG_0376a Two pans of chuck.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_0378a Faux burnt ends.jpg
    IMG_0378a Faux burnt ends.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 262
You know I cooked a 11 lb packer last Sat pit running at 275-300. three hrs in the smoke neked, removed from the pit I cut apart 3 brown bags and tightly wrapped the brisket and back on tho the pit for two more hrs. probed like butta. removed and rested on the counter top until the It had dropped into the 150's( the thermo was reading 206) About two Hrs. It was jiggly.
The reason you had bad luck with the brown paper is two fold; The meat was loosely wrapped and there was not enough paper you can get by with two layers but you have to wrap it tight. I know you thinking that it is the paper but it aint, and for the record AF wraps 3 layers of Butcher paper on his. I know a chuck roll aint brisket I've cooked a bunch of them and sometimes can be a little tougher nut to crack But I never had a 4 LB chunk of cow ever go that long. If you noticed I never checked the temp on the meat so I couldn't tell you what the IT was when I wrapped it. I feel that 3 hrs was plenty but I cook on a Stick burner too.

I can't help you with the paper thing.

As to the effort to cook a chuckie---that is exactly why I cook 3 or 4 at a time. Leave them a little short of "done" somewhere in the 180s or so.
Then vacusuck them for the future.
When we want smoked pot roast or whatever, one just goes in a pan or roaster for an hour with some broth in the oven. Then we add the veggies and have a yummy meal in less than 2 hours total. No muss, no fuss. :grin:

Your chuck looks really good!!!

Good Eats

TIM

Good ideas. If I use paper again, I'll try to wrap it tighter, and use two layers. Should I try to seal the probe hole(s)? Perhaps I don't quite understand... I thought the purpose of foiling was to hold the hot air/moisture close to the meat so it will cook faster (seems to do that) and that the paper wrap did the same thing... but allowed a little more moisture to escape so that the bark would not be soggy. If there's more to it, I'd like to know. One of the most gratifying things about learning BBQ has been learning cause and effect.

Don't worry about sealing the holes I always have a cup or so of Aus Jus in the paper when I open it. The main Idea behind paper is it's porosity allowing it to breath but retain moisture without building up pressure and let smoke flavor in. When you wrap in foil it is like using a dutch oven the effect of the heat convects through it and nothing else as moisture is released into it it turns to steam increasing the thermal effects.This is why the bark goes soft and in some cases washes off.

Just thought of something... If I wrap the meat tightly, I won't be able to use the pan, the trivet or the liquid...but, then again, it took forever WITH the pan and liquid... and STILL wasn't tender... OK, next time, two layers of paper... tightly wrapped... no pan or liquid.

Looks good, sounds like it tasted good. I have found that chuck can be maddeningly hard to get tender sometimes.

Back