hole in loin for sausage

boatnut

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
k...guess that not the best title of thread, LOL.

I want to do a pork loin on smoker with a sausage of some type..chorizo maybe in the middle.

Not sure if it was on this site, but somewhere i read detailed instructions for using a piece of plumbing pipe or similar to cut out the middle of loin so a sausage would fit right in it.

I know i can just slice it half way , put in a sausage then tie with kitchen twine...but rather do it the other way.

any suggestions?
thanks,
mike

I think brother Bill just takes a knife and cuts an "X" and shoves the sausage in.....

Myself, I've always split and re-tied....

A traditional sharpening steel also works well as does a long butcher or slicing knife.

I've used Mel's method many times now and it works like a champ. If you could find a similarly thin walled piece of tubing in a larger diameter it would be a bit better.
The plug you cut out of the loin with this method is an awesome cooks treat!!

i used to do the X method, but have soince combined both, do the X, insert the pipe, then put in the stuffing. I dont cut any out, so no chefs choice. :(

willkat98 said:
partially freeze the sausage you stuff

no need for no stinking pipe

True,, if your using sausages.

I do other stuff withthe pipe.... spinish and feta cheese or chopped apples and walnuts.. bulk sausage...etc...

If you need larger sizes try cooper tubing {thin wall and easy to clean} just get a wooden dowel to fit .

jgh1204 said:
Would that be a tube steak?

Tube steak boogie or Tube Snake? I think its Snake.

Pork loins are getting violated/molested all the time arent they? Its a good thing. They're some great recipes here for stuffed loins.

willkat98 said:
I would bet money you don't have a pipe.

I've seen your spread.

Your a cut and stuff guy, regardless of wether you want these guse to think your a Pampered Chef

(PS, how clean are your probes)

Sorry.. papmered chef would have it out of stainless Steel.. mine is PVC and wood.. and i wouldn't want the "guse" to think I'm fibbin. :eek:

The beauty of having a brand new digital camera nearby..

Here iss the stuffing tool.. use one(thicker) section for the stuffing, and the other as a plunger. The stuffed pipe gets inserted into the loin(after X'ing it). Then the plunger goes in to exposed end of the stuffing tube, and the stuffing tube is slid UP the plunger, leaving the stuffing inside the roast.

White is 1-1/4"x20"
Grey is 1"x20"

Dowel is 1"x36.
  • For thicker roast, I stuff the white one, flip the gray one over(flat end into white tube and use it and the dowel as the plunger.
  • On a thinner roast, I just stuff the gray one and use the dowel as the plunger.
  • Both are cut at an angle to help go thru the X slit easier.
Just make the check out to "Pampered Poobah".

Attachments

• IMG_0300[1].jpg
    IMG_0300[1].jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 676
  • IMG_0301[1].jpg
    IMG_0301[1].jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 673
  • IMG_0302[1].jpg
    IMG_0302[1].jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 670
  • IMG_0303[1].jpg
    IMG_0303[1].jpg