SPECIAL - BBQ Brethren "Noobians vs. Veterans" Throwdown!!!

We need to thank colonel00 for designing these!!!

Mine Captain?
picture.php

Oohh...I'm looking quite smart in those sharp threads, N8. You've just been promoted to first mate!

Fark!

I'm laughing my ass off at you farkers!

I think I'll enter every day. That way might be able to contribute more than one vote.

OK here lets make this more interesting mr.captain admiral bigabyte my noobian plate. Let's put a dollar amount on this all dishes submitted has to be less than $15.00

Nope, that would take low and slow out of the equation. No ribs, no butts, no brisket, no shoulders........ NO. What a noob. :loco: :biggrin1:

Nope, that would take low and slow out of the equation. No ribs, no butts, no brisket, no shoulders........ NO. What a noob. :loco: :biggrin1:

We! All can take a nice cut of meat and make it look pretty but what about the cheaper cuts that take skill?

Well, while y'all are were playing dress up I thought I'd take a break from the senior center fashion bazaar and do a little, you know, cooking.

My buddy returned from a fishing trip to AK a couple days ago, and was kind enough to share his 900lb haul. I've now got a freezer full of Halibut, Salmon, Cod, and Yelloweye. Since it was all swimming around just a few short days ago, I'm taking it upon myself to get it in my belly ASAP.

I started thawing some Cod a few hours ago, came and watched the show here for a bit, and then fired up the, um, contraption. While that heated up, I went down to the garden and found a few accessories. Garlic harvest was just the other day, so I'm flush with that. Broccoli is abundant, squash is just starting to come on, and my Arugula went to flower, which, come to find out, is a wonderful tasting garnish.

_1210700.jpg

I melted a bit of butter, threw in a drop or two of lemon juice, and some minced garlic. Rubbed the fish with that and cracked some pepper in my little mortar and pestle, then gave the fish a good coating of the ol' S'n'P over the garlic/lemon butter.

P1210714.jpg

I dd the same for the Italian Zucchini, an heirloom I found at Baker Creek Seed Bank.

I did a little foil pouch for the broccoli, with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper.

P1210718.jpg

Then I threw them all on the contraption together....

P1210729.jpg

P1210736.jpg

I did a really light cook on all this, the fish and veggies are both so fresh I wanted them as lightly cooked as possible. The fish was just coming apart at the flake, and the veggies were still a bit crunchy. I whipped up a bit of Basmati rice during prep, first searing it in olive oil until it just started to turn color and release that aroma, then put in the water and simmer for 20 minutes. Plated the whole thing and ate on the warm bench outside.

_1210775.jpg

_1210780.jpg

Finished up with a little bowl I created from the garden this evening of fresh strawberries, and Borage and Nasturtium flowers. All edible, of course.

_1210652.jpg

Guess I will cook something sometime for this hear Throwdown thing. Now, are there any rules to playing this game?

Hmm, where is my uniform? I guess a photo or something would help.

Enlistment!

This is my formal enlistment to team noob. I wanna cook as long as the vets arnt still handing out physicals, their hands are cold.

Chipotle garlic wet rubbed baby backs are resting in the fridge in preparation to be fired amongst the masses tomorrow!:pray:

Back