View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #9266
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

Two weeks ago I smoked 3 Boston butts totaling 31lbs. I was on a frozen lake in the middle of our town where we hold our annual winter festival. I got to the lake at 4am it was -33/-39 windchill I put up a plastic tarp as a windbreak and fired up the UDS. at 5am I had the drum temp stabilized @270 and put on the butts. I put two on the bottom rack and one on the top rack. Not ever having cooked on a UDS in these extreme temps, I decided to keep it at 270. I looked at the butts once at 12noon. The temp stayed rock steady all day @270. I had a temp probe in one on the bottom rack and one on the top rack and at noon they were both about 180. I pulled them at 3pm@195 and wrapped them in foil to rest. after an hour and a half, I opened them up and pulled them apart, they were absolutely perfect. I can't say enough good things about my UDS, I was skeptical about the performance in harsh temps,but now, I'm more of a believer than ever before.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote