Brisket - Step by Step (Pron)

Mister Bob

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I trimmed it in yesterday's post, so I figured I might as well share the rest of the process. I injected with Butcher BBQ Brisket Injection.

CompetitionBrisket18.jpg

I insert the needle parallel with the grain and at a very shallow angle and inject in about a 1" x1" pattern working from the end towards the middle.

CompetitionBrisket19.jpg

When I get half way across the brisket, I come in from the other side so the injection liquid doesn't squirt out the end and onto the kitchen floor.

CompetitionBrisket20.jpg

I wipe the excess with a damp paper towel. I skipped this step once and the surface of the meat turned out mushy.

CompetitionBrisket22.jpg

I gave it a heavy coating of my spice rub.

CompetitionBrisket23.jpg

Not sure why I call it rub, I don't rub, I pat.

CompetitionBrisket24.jpg

Wrapped and into the fridge for six hours.

CompetitionBrisket25.jpg

At 11:00pm it goes into the Stumps running steady at 225. I usually cook briskets at 275, but I was in no hurry so I decided to slow it down and compare the results.

CompetitionBrisket26.jpg

At 7:00am the internal temperature was 162 and holding so I brought it in and wrapped it in foil with some beef broth fortified with some Gravy Master.

CompetitionBrisket27.jpg

CompetitionBrisket30.jpg

It probed like butter when the IT reached 200 at about 11:00am. I separated the flat, re-wrapped it in foil and a couple of towels and set it in the Cambro.

CompetitionBrisket34.jpg

The point got cubed, seasoned and some pan juices before it went back in the cooker for an hour while I got all the sides ready. Sorry, no finished pics of the burnt ends, they were scoffed up before I could get a shot.

CompetitionBrisket35.jpg

I served it with potato croquettes, baby carrots, corn, creamy coleslaw and some corn bread. The brisket was moist, tender and delicious. You'll notice there is almost no smoke ring. When I've cooked similar Angus briskets, same injection, same rub, in the same cooker, with the same fuel at 275 degrees, I've gotten fairly deep and dark smoke rings. I'll have to consider that one and do a little more experimentation...

CompetitionBrisket36.jpg

Great looking brisket! I'm about ready to take the plunge and do my first.

Looks like you did a jam up job on the brisket, Great Work! and the tutorial will be helpful for us newbies when we try our first briskets.

Thanks for the info. I have done one brisket and it turned out pretty good for the first time. Its such a large cut of meat its hard to do unless we have a party.

Back