Another Brining ? Salt

R

Rick T

I always do 2 Turkeys. I have never brined before. So One Turkey is going in the oven and the other on the Smoker. THis year it will not be on my offset but on the UDS.

My brine has Half gallon of water, Quart of low sodium stock, Half bottle of white wine, Little less than quart of OJ. Quart of apple cider. Bag of ice.
Bell seasoning,
layer of curry on top of liquid,
Black pepper,
Garlic powder,
Onion Powder,
Fresh Tarragon,
Fresh Thyme,
One large onion,
Four apples.
1 cup of Kosher salt, (just because every one seems to like Kosher) Am I going to have a salty turkey?
The smoker turkey is just 12 pounds and frozen yesterday going in. It is in the cellar.
Thanks,
Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
First I think you will need more brine. Second rule of thumb 1 cup salt to 1 gallon of water.

keep in mind that if you add salty liquids it is recommended to slightly reduce the salt used, just as if you add sweet liquids reduce the amount of sugar in a brine. also keep in mind that you would rather be saying "i wish i had brined longer/stronger" after your meal than " i wish i hadnt brined as long/strong" imo brining is something you want to ease into and take lots of advice.

i know the first time i went solo i got a little over agressive. it was kinda strong.:doh:

I was hoping I was not too aggressive. But sounds like I am not. I did not add sugar. Not sure of the reason for sugar. I like the savory aspects of the spices, Not sure they will get in there but, the thought is there.

Thank you for all the help.
Rick

Just make sure your bird isn't already in a solution. If it is cut the recommended salt by at least 1/2

I forgot to read the packaging. It was a .69 a pound turkey so who knows whats in it.
Just need to hop for the best.

Thanks,
All.

I can almost guarantee that your turkey already had a brine solution injected in to it. Nearly all the cheap turkeys at the grocery store have the brine solution.

Back