UDS Lid

D

deadeye531

Im looking for a dome lid for a UDS that I am about to build. I cant find a weber lid anywhere and was wondering where others have found them? Ive looked at yard sales, craigslist, paper everywhere. I just got a drum to use that was given to me and the only parts I need are the lid, and grates which I will buy this week. So far I have $0 in the drum and all fitings, and the charcoal basket.

Wal-mart and Big lots make a knock off Weber unit. I bought 2 last year @ 25.00 ea
and ya get the lid and the grill.

Check walmart or Kmart for cheaper 22" Kettles. You can normally buy a whole kettle (with grates and all) for $30-$50. I couldn't find any around here either, so I ended up getting a lid directly from Weber, mainly because the walmart lid wouldn't fit on my drum.

Check walmart or Kmart for cheaper 22" Kettles. You can normally buy a whole kettle (with grates and all) for $30-$50. I couldn't find any around here either, so I ended up getting a lid directly from Weber, mainly because the walmart lid wouldn't fit on my drum.
I didn't know or really think that Weber would sell kust a lid for a kettle and I am basically in the same shape. How much do they charge for the lid? I bought a knockoff kettle (floor model) from Lowes the other day for my first build. I'm really thinking I'm going to like it because it is a hinged lid but I also know that it won't last as long as the Weber but I doubt the drum will last that long too so it really doesn't matter. :doh:

at a garbage/recycle dump? You haven't said anything about that. I know it's hit or miss. But I found 2 at my local place once.

I didn't know or really think that Weber would sell kust a lid for a kettle and I am basically in the same shape. How much do they charge for the lid? I bought a knockoff kettle (floor model) from Lowes the other day for my first build. I'm really thinking I'm going to like it because it is a hinged lid but I also know that it won't last as long as the Weber but I doubt the drum will last that long too so it really doesn't matter. :doh:

I want to say somewhere around $60 shipped. You have to order directly from Weber (just call the support line on the website. They are very helpful).

I went to your local recycle to dump some cardboard a couple days ago and they had one of those cheap knock off weber grills so I ask about it and they gave it to me.

But I am thinking why not just use the flat lid that came with the drum for now and keep looking for a weber or knock off lid, it will show up sooner or later.
Dave

When I built mine I bought two new Weber OTSs and cannibalized the lid,
racks and top kettle lip from them. I figured the $80 was a good investment
for new parts.

John

I lucked out and got some weber lids but in doing research for the future I came across the 'knock offs' from sears/kmart. I went to the partsdirect website, found the grill, and armed myself with the part numbers for the lid, vent and handles. There was no way to order parts online (strange) so I called the 800 number and the nice lady told me I could not order the parts by using the part numbers......I had to have the actual model number from an actual grill to be able to order the parts. That being said - if anyone has one of those grills I'd love to have the model number so I can pretend to own the grill. I'm still curious to see how much the parts would cost. Hard to believe I can't order parts with a part number!!

If you tell weber that you dont want the lid for a weber, they wont sell it to you. tell them you want a replacement lid

I lucked out and got some weber lids but in doing research for the future I came across the 'knock offs' from sears/kmart. I went to the partsdirect website, found the grill, and armed myself with the part numbers for the lid, vent and handles. There was no way to order parts online (strange) so I called the 800 number and the nice lady told me I could not order the parts by using the part numbers......I had to have the actual model number from an actual grill to be able to order the parts. That being said - if anyone has one of those grills I'd love to have the model number so I can pretend to own the grill. I'm still curious to see how much the parts would cost. Hard to believe I can't order parts with a part number!!

Sears Item# 07116310000 | Model# CPR-2250BC/D
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07116310000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

Both of my UDS's work great with just the flat lid that comes with the drum. No weber lid needed.

That and the generic kettle lid i bought wasn't even close to fitting...

I'm considering a flat lid model. The only time I use the lower racks are for beans

I bought a new Weber. It came and had an extremely minor ding in it that one of my neighbors (R2Egg2Q) pointed out to me. Thanks a lot!! I called Weber and I had a new lidin a matter of days.
If I was unscrupulous, I could have returned the Weber after I got the new lid and gotten my money back.....but I didn't cause I'm not. I just have a criminal mind. What can I say??

I'm considering a flat lid model. The only time I use the lower racks are for beans

Personally, I like the dome of the Weber lid for the oven like heating that is developed on the top rack. More radiated heat from the top.

Personally, I like the dome of the Weber lid for the oven like heating that is developed on the top rack. More radiated heat from the top.

Amen! In my opinion there's no reason not to build a two-rack UDS, or a
three-rack (the third for a water pan -- USM). You can always remove racks
and/or the water pan if/when needed.

John

that is exactly the information i called sears with thinking i could order parts but i even went farther looking at the schematic for the real part numbers for the lid, vent and handles.......nope.....i need an actual model number from an actual grill.....even the sears lady said she can't order parts with that information from the internet. go figure.

I have to agree. I think the dome lid also gives a little extra "breathing"room for the food while it's cooking.
Actually, I just stole mine from Greyeagle. He's kin, so it was OK. :p

Back