Is Scraping / Shaving Chicken...

Greendriver

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
still IN? I wasn't shiggin (well, maybe a little) cuz I was setting under my own awning and saw the prep on chicken by a team that finished in the top 5 with some mighty good teams in the field and just wondering if the shaving / scraping is worth the trouble?

I think you answered your own question. For me, as a relatively new comp cook (6 in 2 years), I've done well with and without. Temperature is a big key and method used is important too. I would go with whatever you feel comfortable and confident with. It is time consuming and chicken probably is the most time consuming of all, prep wise. For me, I will do whatever it takes to get my chicken to score well and until I find an easier way, I will probably continue taking the time.

Yes, we feel that it is worth the time and the results. Once you do it enough times, you will find ways to make it more efficient.

I have come to the decision that if my chicken is to be serious then the skin must be prepped/scraped. I hate the concept but I want to win more.

Completely unnecessary.

HA! I've been reading for months on this forum about how scraping skins is basically mandatory, so finally I did a test run of my own. Now, as I'm enjoying my bite through skin, you guys are telling me it is unnecessary?

How do you get bite-through and/or crispy skin without scraping? And how do you avoid burning the skin and drying out the meat?

Some do, some don't, both win. I can get bite through either way but even if I don't scrape the skins there is still other prep work that needs to be done. Practice (A LOT) and you'll find what fits you.

Chicken is the most time consuming project on our list. We have been called 2/3 times we have competed so far. We scrape and debone. Finally my teammate and I check each others work. No matter how much time we put in the first go around, we alway find something we missed the second time through.

Probably not necessary for IBCA...:p

I have been practicing chicken for months now, holding the knife blade with your fingers....you learn the "touch" of scraping. Not such a hassle any longer...and thighs are cheap.

In a perfect world we can get bite thru skin …. Under comp conditions its hit and miss so we scrape and remove the variable. Its not as much work as it sounds.

I’d like to hear a fool proof technique for getting it right. How about giving us your temps?

In a perfect world we can get bite thru skin …. Under comp conditions its hit and miss so we scrape and remove the variable. Its not as much work as it sounds.

I’d like to hear a fool proof technique for getting it right. How about giving us your temps?

for me, VERY high.

and for anyone who is watching...removing variables is king.

I cook mine at 250 for 2 hours, including saucing. Bite through every time.

But you're a tricky fella JD, Mr. "no grills goin til Sunday" and all. Captain Hot and Fast should be your name.

See you in a couple weeks at the Skewered Apple.

Greg

Lol...cool...maybe I should get a cape and mask with flames...

Back