So...are Pork Loins good for smoking???

SteveT

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Was at my local Safeway today, and they had "Farmer John" Pork loins on sale. I bought a 5.5 pound one for $10.00. I figured even if I couldn't smoke it, I could roast it.
The other question, is can it be cut in half and smoked?? My son and his wife are going camping for a week, (and besides, he can't/she won't eat pork), so, if cut in half I figure either save half, or even if I smoke the whole thing, seems like cutting it in half will take less time in the smoker..

And last question, as it is only about 6" in diameter, does the 1.5 hour per pound "rule" still hold true???

Thanks for any info I get , it will be appreciated!!

SteveT

Yes, I personally like to cook as a roast, not to the tenderness of pulling, but cook to (where you feel) safe temp...i like 160, at 235-250 deg, remove rest fer half hour under foil, slice and enjoy

Posted from my fancy android fone!!

The pork loin is one of the best items to smoke. Period! I roast a gazillion of them. The problem I've suffered through is that they get dry if cooked too long. I favor a minion method for about 2 - 2.5 hrs till the internal temp reaches 145* - 147*... My grill will reach a high of about 300* toward the end.

I also favor Emerill's Essence for seasoning - be generous! Let it rest for about 30 mins after roasting & take the au jus to make gravy for the smashed taters. It's beyond delicious! And, the meat is juicy, tender and the aroma is first class!

Brine them first then smoke, you can't believe the level of tenderness a simple brine will add. They are naturally lean and need some added moisture.

Ok... brine them with what?? Guys, I'm knew to basically anything but ribs and Tri-tips, (but have a couple briskets under my belt (in more ways than one), and so far everything has turned out pretty well...but I am here to learn, so any pointers are appreciated...

Thanks

SteveT

Go to Morton Salt and look for Canadian bacon. I smoke them about 225 for 4 hours. Delicious..

Give them a rub with oliver rub before smoking or wrap bacon around them

Most of my collegues prefer me to cook them a pork loin, its the best (in my opinion) meat to eat at any meal. I cook a boneless loin 2 weeks with very light seasoning and then cool it cut it and put 5 to 6 oz in plastics bags. part goes to freezer and other goes to eat for the week. IE: english muffin w/loin and egg, Loin burger for lunch or even fresh green beans out of the garden and fried okra and a pack of loin on the side.

YES!

Here's one I did on Monday.
IMG_3098.jpg

Personally, I think the trick is to pull it off the heat at 145 or it will get dried out. I also like to wrap in bacon and stuff em. I've never brined one, but I don't see HOW that wouldn't help out with it being so lean and all.

Here's the thread I put up with the recipe for that one:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112870

I brine them in Simply Marvelous (rub) and water for at least 8 hours, because they are so dense, sometimes overnight if I have them time. rub them with the same dry rub I made the brine out of and smoke them until they are med rare and then pull and let them rest in a sheet pan covered with foil for about an hour. Then i slice them wafer thin and pile it high on a fresh kaiser roll, good stuff!

Here's the pork loin brine recipe that I use:
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
8 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons rub of choice
2 cups water

Heat this mixture up to get the salt and sugar to dissolve, then cool. Pour over pork loin while it's in a turkey bag or cooler. Fill the rest with cold water to cover the loin. I brine pork loins between 8 and 12 hours.

Maple Syrup brine

Turns out well:

8 cups water
1/3 cup kosher salt
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
2 sprigs fresh sage
1 large garlic clove, smashed
1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf
1 (4-4 1/2-lb) boneless pork loin roast

after 24-48 hours, wrap loin "log" in bacon.

Because pork loin is so lean, it really doesn't benefit at all from low and slow. I cook mine @ 300-325 till 140 IT, no higher. This usually takes about an hour and a half at most. Rest in foil for an hour, and enjoy.

Cooking a loin past 140 is IMO, pork abuse. Cooking low and slow is counterproductive since it just dries out, and the texture becomes rubbery. Cook hot, and pull early for best results.

225 for 4 hours? Ouch!

Smoked pork loin is delicious. It is a favorite for us.

I don't brine mine. I just rub it down with some fresh herbs and olive oil and have at it. I have had very few, on or two tops, turn out dry. The key is to pull it off the cooker at 145.

Like El Ropo says, cook it at the same temp that you would cook it in an oven, 300-325.

Kassler- German Smoked Pork Loin

Brine:

1 gallon water
3/4 lb Kosher Salt
1/2 lb Sugar
1 1/2 z pink salt (curing salt)
Fresh or dried sage leaves
1 tsp dried thyme
1 Tbs juniper berries
1 tsp coriander
whole garlic cloves

brine 4-5 pound loin for 48 hours. remove. rinse off, dry.
smoke to 150 degrees

Use Alder if you can get it or combo of Oak ad hickory

I rub mine, sear in a cast iron skillet. Take the loin out of the skillet. Pour some white wine and deglaze the skillet, throw in some onions, garlic and bell pepper and sautee for a few minutes.. put the loin back in the skillet. take it all out to the smoker and smoke it at 350 till internal temp of 160.

Check it from time to time and add water or beef broth to keep the fluid from crusting at the bottom of the pan, but don't put too much near the end so you can make gravy easier. I take the loin out of the skillet, then make gravy. Placed the sliced loin back in the gravy and serve it up.

Back