Ranch Kettle Restoration.

Not bad , actually lot better than I expected , need to finish grindering it with a smooth wheel

Ok here is the plan. Sandblast the pitted area on the inside until it is totally clean. Then use a rosebud torch and brazing rods to tin over the whole entire rusted area.

Anyone see a reason this won't work? The goal is to completely cover any bare steel on the inside.

Ok I'm still gonna sandblast, but now instead of brazing I'm gonna use this to fill in the pitted area.

uploadfromtaptalk1307913627084.jpg

Its good to 2400* and is safe for use in grills. I got it at Pep Boys.

For some reason tin sounds a lot better. test some of the stuff first, burn it and see if any smoke or foul smells come off of it. I am still wondering who picked up the ranch kettle from San Mateo on CL for $100 ??? Was this you?

You actually have to cure it with high heat. I'm sure there will be some fumes during this process.

I found an MSDS for it, and it only contains steel dust, magnesium silicate, and sodium silicate. None of which should be harmful. However, you can bet my nose will be at full alert in case anything weird comes off of it.

This stuff could be the answer to alot of pit repair issues out there.

For some reason tin sounds a lot better. test some of the stuff first, burn it and see if any smoke or foul smells come off of it. I am still wondering who picked up the ranch kettle from San Mateo on CL for $100 ??? Was this you?

Nope I'm in Southeast Louisiana. But that is an even better deal than mine. I paid $200

Thanks for the answers Q, and yes and can't wait to see it burning again!:thumb:

Any suggestions for what to cook first when I get it finished? What does this baby do best?

I say so some indirect cooling on it!
Make a RACK OF BEEF RIBS & a FATTY!:-D

Any suggestions for what to cook first when I get it finished? What does this baby do best?

They Really Love Tri Tip

IMG_0447.jpg

And Chicken

IMG_0449.jpg

They Really Love Tri Tip

IMG_0447.jpg

And Chicken

IMG_0449.jpg

Nice! I haven't cooked tri tip before. I might have to get one of the cutters at the store I work at to set me some aside. Around here they get cut up for stew meat believe it or not.

By the way...nice lookin feast...I guess things are different down there cuz that did not look like my tri-tips....different butchering I guess.

Back