View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #7714
Fornia
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchiefdav View Post
Fornia, I had the same problem with my weber lid. I just flatted out the lip on my lid and it sits flat on my drum now. It's not air tight, but it's far enough away from the fire that it doesn't really matter.

I should note that my weber lid is from an old useless OTS, so I didn't mind flattening the lip and donating the lid to my UDS permanently.

As far as your paint issues...I'd say you should see what a good hot fire does to that paint before you start getting quotes on sandblasting. Then again, if a hot fire doesn't get rid of all that paint, I doubt that 250 degrees of BBQ temperature will disturb it either. I know that there are some in this thread who are cooking on drums that still have paint inside of them, the paint just happens to be under a nice layer of grease at this point.
Gotcha! I turned it over, and the bottom does seem to match up closer to the Weber lid (I'll just have to slightly bend the Weber lid on edges).

If going this route,
Am I correct in understanding that I need to 'cut' the bottom round panel out?

Sorry for pathetic question, but I'm not handy...and also talking with welders, fabrication shops, and sandblasters....has me totally confused and exhausted. Trying to save money where I can, so if I can do the bottom panel removal, I'll at least try it.

My sandblaster said he could use a Sawz-All on it, which has me just a bit worried about a 'real rough' cut.
Fornia is offline   Reply With Quote