I give...what's a Fatty??

This was my first fatty. Stuffed with sauted onions, bell peppers, potatoes, jalapenos, cheese, wrapped with bacon, and dusted with OBIE-CUE'S Sweet Rub BBQ Spice. Smoked on the ECB while camping a couple of weekends ago. I've not done a naked one yet, but HAVE to try that too!
Thanks to RonL for all the fatty history.

Last edited:
Got all the stuff to make my first fatty.. Gonna stuff it with Green & Red Peppers, Red Onions, Pepper Jack Cheese... Should I cook the Peppers & Onions first??

Thanks for your help..
BR

I did almost the same for my first fattie (I have done naked since). See my photos here, may help you.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92172
I didn't cook anything, and I thought it turned out great. The peppers were cooked, but not mush.
attachment.php

Sorry another newbie question: When fatty is done how long do you let it rest when you take it out of the grill??

Thanks
BR

Sorry another newbie question: When fatty is done how long do you let it rest when you take it out of the grill??

Thanks
BR

Exactly 14 minutes, 18 seconds.
Or more.
Or less.

Really, if it's naked, it's pretty much ready when done.
If there is cheese, you might let it set five or ten minutes - or more, if you want'/need to to let the cheese firm a bit.

I've never had one last too long. Once people know what it is, they line up pretty fast.

If you can keep people off it of it...let it rest for a bit.

That's a big if though...

Here are my fatties...
Naked...
DSC_0024-2.jpg

My first stuffed and wrapped...
Fattiesprepped.jpg

DSC_0244.jpg

My Italian...
CheeseAdded.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

Ruben Fatty...
Brats
JohnsonvilleBrauts.jpg

Kraut, dressing, swiss...
Krautanddressing.jpg

sliced.jpg

Okay. So did my first two fatties yesterday. First one was naked w/ just a little rub sprinkled on. Second one was hot sausage stuffed w/ grilled red onions and red peppers, roasted garlic, and monterrey jack cheese. Then wrapped in a bacon weave.

Just before the cheese
FattyPrep.jpg

Rolled and rubbed
Stuffedfatty.jpg

Failed at after pics...This is the only one I got.
NYEFattys.jpg

I loved the stuffed one. The only thing different I would do is maybe put some fully cooked bacon on the inside to add a little "crunch" to the texture. I was hoping (not expecting) to get that on the outside but it didn't happen.

I was disappointed w/ the naked one. Probably won't make one again unless someone requests it. I would rather make brats if I'm just doing "plain" sausage.

As for the badgers...smashmouth football right down the gut, but TCU has a awesome defense...spread the field, get them guessing...back up the middle... Badgers win 31-28. Just hope for a good game!

Frogs, 21-19. :clap2:

If it is any consolation, my fatties didn't turn out all the well. I put too much rub on them. :wink:

CD

Here's some fatties I did for the holidays. I make about a dozen and a half every year to give to neighbors and clients. Most are filled with egg/cheese/hash browns, also made a few filled with grilled steak/cheese/onions, peppers, and mushrooms. Also tried making a Turkey fattie also... ground turkey filled with stuffing/mashed potato's.

Getting ready to roll a Breakfast Fattie

This is the Turkey Fattie

Some finished fatties

Hey Brethern....well my first adventure into fatty cooking went extremely well:laugh:. Absoultely loved them. I did one naked fatty and the other was stuffed with some colby and monterey jack cheeses, some pablano peppers and onions. Cooked them for about 2 1/2 hours. Did an indirect cook on my Weber and used some oak chips for smoke. What a unique test and yet so simple. Next adventure I will see what I can do to get some pictures.

As for the Badgers...great game....sorry to see them loose. But the Pats made up for the loose by squishing the fish!

Glad your cook went well now ever time you fire up smoker those will be part of the smoke....

After doing a few fatties I tried making bacon cheese burger fatties with ground beef filled with grilled onion, chipolte cheddar cheese and fresh bacon bits. I should have used more cheese but they were good sliced up and served as sliders even tho they arent a real fattie. you are only limited by your imagination.
IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

After doing a few fatties I tried making bacon cheese burger fatties with ground beef filled with grilled onion, chipolte cheddar cheese and fresh bacon bits. I should have used more cheese but they were good sliced up and served as sliders even tho they arent a real fattie. you are only limited by your imagination.
IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

Now that's a great fatty.

Damm, First time I learned about Fatties today and Now I will try it next week!:-D

I have to try a couple of these for our block party. I am doing chicken, so a couple of fattie would be a great appetizer.

Back