Louisiana cookbook suggestions

JD08

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a couple of cookbooks for Louisiana cuisine. I know there's a difference between New Orleans and Cajun, but I'm just looking for some basics like gumbo, jambalaya, and etouffee. I'd prefer to stick with more homestyle than gourmet recipes.

If there's any group of people that can answer any cooking question, it's the people here, so any and all suggestions are appreciated.

I have a few bookmarked or are you looking for hard copy for a gift?

NUTZ

I have enjoyed the recipes from "Justin Wilson's Homegrown Louisiana Cookin'". Nothing fancy. Just good stuff. :cool:

John Folce is a well known Cajun chef and his recipes are awesome. The lastest one out is "After the Hunt". The books are a bit pricy but make great gifts and coffee table books plus the recipes are yummy

I have a few bookmarked or are you looking for hard copy for a gift?

NUTZ
I'm just interested in a few basic recipes. It's getting nice outside and it's time to find ways to spend my weekends once football season is over.

I have the Prudhomme Family Cookbook, which is interesting reading. It does have some recipes that are from Paul, but, many are from his siblings and mother.

The other books I have, are unfortunately not available in general distribution, they were books that were picked up in small shops compiled by local fisherman's associations. While this comment seems worthless upfront, I offer it because it is an excellent way to get recipes that are sub-regional and spring from the way locals cook for themselves.

A friend of mine from NOLA gave me a copy of his favorite. I've been using it for years now with great success.
The New Orleans Cookbook by Rima and Richard Collin
Hardcover ISBN 0-394-48898-9
Paperback ISBN 0-394-75275-9
The subtitle is long, but tells the story:
"The Most Authentic and Reliable Gathering of Great Cajun and Creole Recipes From the City's Grand Restaurants and Modest Cafes, From Mansions and From Country Kitchens"

Try these links. John Folse's web site. Has alot of great recipes. Gumbo Pages is also a good source for Louisiana cooking. John Folse has a great recipe called Crawfish and Andouille Fettucini. It's really good. I've used the recipe and also substituted shrimp for the crawfish and it was excellent.

Gumbo Pages has a great jambalaya recipe that I use. IMO, Zatarains rice is what I use as it does not clump or stick together. If you can't get Zatarains rice, wally world has their version. It is par-boiled rice. give it a try.

http://www.jfolse.com/
http://www.gumbopages.com/recipe-page.html

I'm trying to find a couple of cookbooks for Louisiana cuisine. I know there's a difference between New Orleans and Cajun, but I'm just looking for some basics like gumbo, jambalaya, and etouffee. I'd prefer to stick with more homestyle than gourmet recipes.

If there's any group of people that can answer any cooking question, it's the people here, so any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Different New Orleans to Cajun to Creole. Homestyle Cajun usually brings
in quite a bit of the creole influence. I ran into a great home style recipes
paperback book in the early 80's. When I get home tonight I'll look it up
for you.

Also, try the chicken fricassee. It's AMAZING.

Justin Wilson, you be putting a little wine in the food and a little wine in you!! :laugh:

I've used a few recipes off gumbopages and I can verify that they are awesome. Gumbo, jambalaya, and red beans and rice are great. I especially love red beans and rice.

Check "Marshes to Mansions" from the Junior League of Lake Charles.
www.jllc.net Excellent cookbook :thumb: and its on sale thru November at 20% off on internet orders, normally 28.95. I bought 4 as gifts. I've had mine for the last 3 years. It'a a Regional Tabasco Community Cookbook Award Winner.

Also check out Pirates Panty from them.

Funvet, that is the kind of cookbook I was talking about. They often have access to recipes that are unique to familes and locales you might no hear about otherwise.

Back