Anybody come up with cheap alternatives or materials for grates? I know you could use expanded metal and fashion your own grates but by the time you purchase the metal its more than what a Weber replacement grate would be. Just looking for ideas if anyone has gone down this path.

Bought mine at Academy for $5.99 each

I guess you could steal a grocery cart and cut it up :heh:

or cut up some old clothes hangers and weave some grates...:heh:

Sadly that has seriously crossed my mind. Not so much the theft part but definitely the grocery cart part. And yeah, I know you can get replacement grates for under $20. The Walmart versoin is usually under $15. I was just trying to find new and creative yet cheap ways that maybe someone has come up with.

Man, you can buy a Weber replacement grate for under $20 bones...to me, trying to fab something for less and without the effort just dont add up.

Hell, a Weber grate with swing-up charcoal access doors is $19. The plain one is $15 or so. No-brainer, unless you really want to fab something. Unless you could get a scrap from a metal fab shop, you'd pay that for a piece of expando alone!

Sitting at 185 (meat temp) on my UDS' maiden voyage. 2 butts. Combined weight 11 lbs. Started at 2pm this afternoon. 8.5 hours in. This hasn't budged from 235 since I finally stopped messing with it at 6 :D I am impressed with my ugly beast and can't wait to use the hell out of it. Will post pics later tonight.

I spent the past three days reading (looking at da pictures:-D) this thread and I couldn't take it anymore. I had to get started on one.

I'm wanta keep er simple.

I started on the inside last night and cleaned out the red liner.

Made the coal basket / diffuser / ash-tray.

BBQ 120.jpg

BBQ 121.jpg

BBQ 122.jpg

BBQ 123.jpg

I also made one of the two grills.

BBQ 124.jpg

BBQ 125.jpg

For me it has to be bad --- and work well, so I'm going to re-name my smoker

B-A-D-S

Very nice. Stout charcoal basket there! Let us know how the heat diffuser works out.

Just wanted to cross-link this here as the other thread will soon be buried in Q-talk.

Legs for grates in the UDS...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94371

DSCN0819.jpg

Outstanding work jhnarial. Very cool idea on the charcoal basket and diffuser.

Thanks

I wish I could keep going. I just ran out of Shielding gas, I knew I should have went Friday.

The ply-wood idea worked slick, I found that idea here in this thread.

I have some ideas but I want to keep it as simple as possible. Why try to change something that already works.

I will post more later

Very cool site!!

So I was helping to set up the church rummage sale last week, and look what I came across!

Sears rotisserie by trzarocks, on Flickr

This guy was totally unused - the only thing missing was the instruction booklet. There's a little bit of corrosion on the spit. The "Inspected by" piece of paper in the battery compartment dates it to 1987 and it doesn't have a crease or anything on it. The hardware is still in the baggies.

It seems to me that if God didn't want me to glorify Him by spinning meat around over an open flame, He wouldn't have put this thing in front of me while I was working His rummage sale.

The challenging question is: Does God want me to modify one of my UDS' to take this bad boy, or does He want me to build THIRD drum (the Ugly Drum Rotisserator)?

So I was helping to set up the church rummage sale last week, and look what I came across!

It seems to me that if God didn't want me to glorify Him by spinning meat around over an open flame, He wouldn't have put this thing in front of me while I was working His rummage sale.

The challenging question is: Does God want me to modify one of my UDS' to take this bad boy, or does He want me to build THIRD drum (the Ugly Drum Rotisserator)?
I'm gonna guess the lord just wants you to stop taking his name in vein and start building/cooking. :hand:

Had my maiden voyage this weekend. Went great. First time ever using a smoker and probably 5th time ever even using charcoal. These things are fantastic at holding temps!!

She is Ugly!
Photo0593.jpg

But she cooks great Pork!
Photo0598.jpg

My drum is doing fine about being miserly with it's lump, but did get a laugh Sunday morning.

Saturday evening, I smoked some bacon wrapped dove breasts - cooked might be a more operative word, I had the pit running hot. With a full package of bacon on it, the only real smoke was all from all the drippings. I closed up the drum at 7pm or so (except for the fan intake). I know it is sucking a little bit of air through that opening - but as long as the top is pretty tight there is little airflow.

At 4am got up to throw some pork on the drum for lunch. The drum was cold, so I fired up the weed burner. After about 5 seconds, I saw coals. I blasted it a few times to blow off the ash and my fire was lit again for another cooking.

I think I spent less than 5 minutes lighting the pit before the meat was on (great at 4am). The pit held temp w/o any intervention (even a toe kick) till I pulled the pork off at 1pm. Got to love UDS (and a digital thermostat). I think I will be cooking snacks the night before again...

Sears rotisserie by trzarocks, on Flickr

This guy was totally unused - the only thing missing was the instruction booklet. There's a little bit of corrosion on the spit. The "Inspected by" piece of paper in the battery compartment dates it to 1987 and it doesn't have a crease or anything on it. The hardware is still in the baggies.

I built my second one as a UDR. :thumb:

Can't find the edit button for my post above so here they are again.
The ugly betty
Photo0593.jpg

and her food
Photo0598.jpg

I need some help, Im looking for some latches to latch down my lid it doesn't seem to be closing all the way down and I've tried putting the lid on the drum and hitting it with a rubber mallet but one side of the lid still comes up. It just doesn't get a good seal like it did when I first stated using it, I've also tried bending the drum a lil but still no luck I was thinking if I could find 4 latches I could latch it down I don't know of the right ones I need but I know I've seen some uds's with them so any help would be great thx.

Back