• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Made my first Cheddar Yesterday. Pr0n

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
The weather here is nice and hot! Did some research and found that you need to cook milk @ 90 degrees to make Cheddar. So I took 2 gallons of milk and set it out side under my tiki hut and let it come up to temp. I added 1/2 Teaspoon of Calcium Chloride, 1/2 Teaspoon of Rennet and 1 Packet of Mesophilic Culture and set mother nature to work. 90 minutes later I had curds to cut.

After cookin at 100 degrees for about an hour and a half I drained and saved the whey. Loaded the curds into my nifty homemade press and press it at 5 LBS for 15 minutes.

Removed it form the press flipped the cheese over and put back in the press at 20LBS pressure for 14 hours.

Took it out of the press this morning now it is air drying for 48 hours before I seal it wax.

See ya in 6 Months!

Thanks for looking.
Jed

P.S. Bring the whey to 200 degrees and hold for a few minutes and 1 tablespoon vinegar and strain through butter muslin and you will have fresh Ricotta Cheese, Yummy stuff.

Cool project HT, curious :popcorn:
My grandmother used to make cheese years ago, wish I could have picked up some tips.:cry:

How did you measure/estimate the pressures? BTW, neat, simple press!

very nice. must try that. i bought a press, now to use it.

You sure made that look easy. I LOVE cheese, you'll have to let me know how it turns out!

I was all set to do this until I saw the 55 degree thing. I don't have a cooler. :(
I am curious about how the torque of one of four bolts would translate into PSI on the cheese though.
Man.....this looks so easy, I'd love to find a way to do it. Does it have to be 55?

Back