Cooking a brisket flat without foil

Brian in Maine

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
When I cooked that flat on Sunday I had cut an end off so I would know which way the grain was going after it was cooked. The piece I cut off was about 2 1/2 inches square, and I rubbed it up, and threw it on the smoker.
When I foiled the flat I took the little piece, and set it aside. After I put the flat back on, I ate the little chunk. The bark was incredible, and it was tender and juicy.
My question is have any of you cooked a flat without foiling, and how did it come out.
The other option I am thinking of is take the flat out of foil at 180*, apply another layer of rub, and finish the cook with no foil.

I cooked one a few weeks ago. What I did was inject it with beef broth before smoking so it wouldn't dry out. It came out tender and juicy. By the way whats great about the broth is you can inject it multiple times, at anytime in the smoke.
I also only injected it from the top side so it wouldn't leak through the injection sites.

I cooked one with foil once it was ok. I cook mine without foil. Take it to 200 and my temp probe doesn't have much resistance. Then wrap it in foil to rest. Foil does a good job of holding the heat and moisture in when resting.

I cooked one with foil once it was ok. I cook mine without foil. Take it to 200 and my temp probe doesn't have much resistance. Then wrap it in foil to rest. Foil does a good job of holding the heat and moisture in when resting.

Same here...I only use the foil for resting as well...I pull mine at around 195-200...wrap in hd foil...then in a towel...then in the cooler for an hour at least. They turn out pretty good..IMHO! :p

No foil with us, however we do have a water jacket on the Kingfisher.
I think what you maybe need to do is cut your foil time down.

Photo is after a 1 hr rest in a covered pan.

Last edited:
We like the crispy bark too..I used foil a couple times but much prefer to throw it on without...I never tried wrapping it up to rest..will that take away from the crispyness of the bark?

I cook flats in the egg, prefer flats over packers. It depends on how the flat looks once it hits the plateau. If the bark looks good and not dry I'll go no foil until I pull it off. If it looks like its drying out, then I'll foil.

stuff012.jpg

That cube was sooo good I thought about cubing a whole flat, and smoking for 2 /2 hours.

Back