CyberQ Wifi Setup Guide

Thank ya'll so much for helping me get my CyberQ up and running. Just one other question. Is the port forwarding to ports 80 secure at all. I know it would just be some moron hacker trying to burn my brisket :), but just wondering if there was a more secure way. Someone at work mention setting up static address? Or using a website called dynamicdns.com? Do you know anything about this?

Again thanks so much. Was able to adjust my Egg while out running around town the other day....pretty cool stuff!

Your pretty CyberQ Wifi is sitting out on the Internet waiting for some hacker to turn off the warning beeps and dial it up to 425 degrees. There's no password to view the unit, as you know. Therefore, anyone passing by can see it and that's the problem with the current state of the CyberQ Wifi. No security. So, when you turned on port forwarding it opens it up to the Internet, vice just seeing it on your private home network.

A static won't help in this case. It's a different subject, same for dynamic DNS. What those two things do is allow you to find the router, and hence your CyberQ Wifi, using a name like http://glenshire.dyndns.org (test it - it's someone's Samsung DVR) or something similar, vice remembering your public IP address. Dynamic DNS changes the IP numbers to a more-familiar name. You can register an account at http://dyn.com/dns/. It used to be free, but now they charge $20 per year. Your Internet provider may change your IP address regularly, so you won't be able to find your router IP address without looking it up again. Dynamic DNS or a static IP makes it possible to find your router.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again North. Thats what I figured as far as security. I guess I'll gamble on someone burning up my brisket. Maybe they will do a software update at some point to fix this issue.

Your pretty CyberQ Wifi is sitting out on the Internet waiting for some hacker to turn off the warning beeps and dial it up to 425 degrees. There's no password to view the unit, as you know. Therefore, anyone passing by can see it and that's the problem with the current state of the CyberQ Wifi. No security. So, when you turned on port forwarding it opens it up to the Internet, vice just seeing it on your private home network.

A static won't help in this case. It's a different subject, same for dynamic DNS. What those two things do is allow you to find the router, and hence your CyberQ Wifi, using a name like http://glenshire.dyndns.org (test it - it's someone's Samsung DVR) or something similar, vice remembering your public IP address. Dynamic DNS changes the IP numbers to a more-familiar name. You can register an account at http://dyn.com/dns/. It used to be free, but now they charge $20 per year. Your Internet provider may change your IP address regularly, so you won't be able to find your router IP address without looking it up again. Dynamic DNS or a static IP makes it possible to find your router.

Hope this helps.
http://afraid.org allows free ddns usage.

They also offer a free pointer when your IP changes, it will redirect the traffic to the newly assigned IP address. It runs in the background of any computer connected to the router to detect any changes, or if you have flashed your router with Tomato Firmware, your router will handle the updates to the IP address.

I use this service to forward my remote camera systems for clients who want to watch their businesses from outside.

Worked perfectly on the first try. Thanks. These instructions should go in the manual, not whats in there. This is much more informational and much better written.

For security reasons, I have decided to purchase and use Splashtop for Android to connect from my phone to my home PC when the home PC is left on for "monitoring"the CyberQ Wifi via a web page. In that manner, I don't expose the wide open CyberQ Wifi to the Internet directly. The Spashtop product is available for iPhones, tablets, PCs and Macs. For me, I run the streamer on my home computer and the remote desktop app on my Droid. Splashtop is the name of the company and just add .com to get to their web page.

Here's an important plus for this product. If you have a Gmail account, you can put your Google info on the phone and your home PC and then Splashtop finds your PC for you. You don't have to worry about DDNS or remembering IPs or anything. It just finds it over local Wifi or 3G. I don't have 4G to test it with and I didn't test it at work using just Wifi.

Furthermore, if you have a PC at work, for instance, and you want to view your home PC and monitor and control the Wifi unit, Spashtop Remote Desktop is free for non-commercial usage. The Mac version isn't free, nor are the phone versions. It works, and I'm excited. The home PC becomes another window on your work computer that you can close, move around or resize. Also, it can save your log on password, so you that you don't have to enter it every time upon connecting, although I don't use that on my phone. Passwords have to have some complexity to them, so it's not just 4 digits that I feel can get hacked. I feel that there's good security here.

I have no affiliation with Spashtop except for being a new happy user who watched from work yesterday as my brisket slowly cooked at home.

Anyhow, it works perfectly for me and is easier and more secure than setting up the CyberQ Wifi for port forwarding.

To anyone who is using port forwarding. Has your CyberQ Wifi been hacked during a cook?

To anyone who is using port forwarding. Has your CyberQ Wifi been hacked during a cook?

So far, no, and I think it's unlikely. Hackers are generally looking for either a challenge (which this isn't), or a hated target (like a politician's web site). It just wouldn't be seen as cool to deliberately ruin another man's brisket.

BTW, thanks for all the kind comments on this thread -- I'm glad it's been helpful.

For security reasons, I have decided to purchase and use Splashtop for Android to connect from my phone to my home PC when the home PC is left on for "monitoring"the CyberQ Wifi via a web page. ...

Is your Windows PC accessing the CyberQ WiFi via its Adhoc? If so then your PC would not be connected to the Internet. Or do you have the PC connected to both adhoc and Internet. Please explain how you set up.
Thanks

When I get back home, assuming I figure it out, I plan on posting a how to for the AT&T 2WIRE modems/router. Wish me luck.

wanted to add this here--started a new post with it last night...

Hello all-

First time poster here; I've had a BGE for a few years now, and just got my CyberQ Wifi today. Like many, I've been frustrated with trying to get the wi-fi functionality up and running.

In adhoc mode, I have no problems connecting to the cyberq network with my iphone and viewing the webpage. However, on both my Mac laptop and Mac desktop, I can join the cyberq network (listed in each as a "device"), but i cannot view the webpage as the connection always times out. I'm making sure that i'm trying to connect these devices one at a time, so it's not an issue of multiple calls to the cyber-q webserver.

The FAR more frustrating thing is that I have the EXACT same Verizon router setup that the user manual provides as an example for infrastructure setup, and I simply cannot get a handshake between the router and the cyberq. It's not a distance issue, as I have the two things all of two feet apart from one another. Can anyone possibly offer a bit of advice? My other wireless devices connect to an airport express that's set up as a bridge, but i confirmed that i'm able to connect each those devices directly to the wireless network.

I'm at my wit's end...

Perfect help!

Hello,

Thanks for the information. It did the trick seting uo my new CyberQ wifi to in the infrastructure mode. Work like a charm.

Once again thank you.

J

Hey guys I just got my cyberq wifi and have been trying to get it all set up. I have it set up on infrastructure mode and can access it from web browswers/computers/the cyberq wifi app from within my network/home. I have a belkin n class router. "port forwarding' is not an option, but rather 'virtual server' which they claim does the same thing. I set up the virtual server with the local IP address of the cyberq and pointed it to port 80 and enabled. The only possible problem I see, is the only drop down choices for format are TCP and UDP. I notice in most of the guides it's suggested that the choice should be HTTP. I'm not sure if this is the problem (?) but I can't get it to pull up whatsoever from outside my network by typing in my computer's public IP address (starts with 173.xxx, not my local 192.168.xxx.xxx). Any thoughts much appreciated!

HTTP is a TCP service, set it to that. Virtual server is just another way of saying port forwarding, some mfg's think it sounds more descriptive that way. If you're still running into the problem, instead of manually setting up port 80 see if there's a "Web Server" or "HTTP Server" pre-defined setup in the virtual server settings of your router. Also if you're using a dynamic IP locally on the CyberQ go into the router's settings and set that IP to be reserved for that device so it will always get the same IP and you won't have to change the virtual server destination the next time you use the CyberQ.

Thanks TheKomoman for the clarification. I had it set to tcp and udp just to cover both bases, and still no go. I also definitely have the cyberq's ip within my private network set to never expire/change. Unfortunately, virtual server is the only thing that looks or says anything close to what we're looking for. I am stumped.

Thanks TheKomoman for the clarification. I had it set to tcp and udp just to cover both bases, and still no go. I also definitely have the cyberq's ip within my private network set to never expire/change. Unfortunately, virtual server is the only thing that looks or says anything close to what we're looking for. I am stumped.

Gimme your specific router model, including hardware version, please.

Belkin N750DB, Hardware/model # F9K1103 v1 (01C). Running the latest firmware. I have it set for inbound port 80 and private port 80. Thanks for any help. The cable modem itself has some built in routing abilities, not sure if that would be interfering?

Belkin N750DB, Hardware/model # F9K1103 v1 (01C). Running the latest firmware. I have it set for inbound port 80 and private port 80. Thanks for any help. The cable modem itself has some built in routing abilities, not sure if that would be interfering?

Oh wow, absolutely it would. If your cable modem does more than just pass you the external IP then it's a router not just a modem! You'll have to setup a port forward/virtual server on that as well, but forwarding to your Belkin router. Then your Belkin router will forward it on from there.

Oh wow, absolutely it would. If your cable modem does more than just pass you the external IP then it's a router not just a modem! You'll have to setup a port forward/virtual server on that as well, but forwarding to your Belkin router. Then your Belkin router will forward it on from there.

I'm glad I mentioned that detail..probably should have earlier but I'm no expert at networks. When you say setting up a port forward on the cable modem/router to the belkin router, could you elaborate a bit? What port would I list, and which IP address, the internal address of the belkin router that I would use to log on to it and manipulate settings? Thanks

I'm glad I mentioned that detail..probably should have earlier but I'm no expert at networks. When you say setting up a port forward on the cable modem/router to the belkin router, could you elaborate a bit? What port would I list, and which IP address, the internal address of the belkin router that I would use to log on to it and manipulate settings? Thanks

You'll need to get into the control panel of the cable modem and forward port 80 to the internal IP of your Belkin router(typically 192.168.x.1). The internal IP of the cable modem would be what the Belkin router shows as its WAN/Internet IP address. This is again under the assumption that the cable modem is also acting as a router. You haven't given me anything definitive to indicate that one way or another.

Why don't you drop me a PM so we don't spam this thread any more than we already have. :grin:

I thought about PM'ing but thought others may be going through the same issues or certainly will.

Thank you so much - you are the man!! :thumb: As you mentioned, all I had to do was log into the cable modem/router and point the virtual server toward my belkin router's address...was very easy and just checked from an outside ISP and I am up and running!! Thank you so much again for your time and sticking with this for me. I'm so excited to have everything fully working with the cyber-q! :cool::grin:

I just downloaded an app on my android called The Pit Pal and it has functionality to link up to a cyberq or stoker.. it took seconds to set up and it's now logging and monitoring the cyberq on my phone! Thanks again TheKomoman!

Back