How much to charge?

Richman2000

Reaction score
Recently I did some pulled pork and cole slaw for a department at work to thank them for helping me out with a project. they loved it. Well they've come back to me and asked if I can make more for them. They are supplying for the Pork, and Lump for the smoke. I am doing it for the experience now. If I was to charge for doing pulled pork, how much after expenses is fair? I'm not planning on doing this much, but it's a good way to make some $$ to help with mods to the Chargriller, and add to my spices collection.

Thanks for the help.

Rich
Merced, Ca

I'm easy... A case of good beer or a nice bottle of whiskey would be more than adequate for me. Cheers!!!

Standard catering markup is 3Xcost. Friends and family rates are generally beer and conversation.

Thanks for the information. Beer will work, a Tawny Port will work better.

Thanks again,
Rich

Standard "restaurant" markup is 3x cost...catering markup can be substantially higher.

Go for the Port and the experience.

I was in a local convenient store this past weekend here in town and part of the store now has a guy selling BBQ. I took a gander at his menu and he was selling brisket for $13/lb. That seemed kind of high but I'm not experienced enough to know. I know I've seen pulled pork going for roughly $8-$10 /lb so maybe he's right on the mark.

Okay, did a bit of research. He's in the ballpark. Carry on....

Last edited:
Majority has it, Port it is. I'll have to specify a good 30 year old brand. The cheap stuff tastes like diesel fuel.

Back