• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Price for a brisket sandwich

Sweet Peach BBQ

Reaction score
I have a mobile BBQ biz in central GA. This weekend, I'll be adding brisket to the menu for the first time. I've done a little research but I'm interested in getting more ideas on how to price a sandwich, cuts, etc..Thanks.

I would think pricing out is like any other item on your menu, figure your costs and go from there.

As for cuts, I like em sliced or chopped coarsely. With a pickle and some sauce.

Yeah, I was thinking that as far as pricing.I'm going with the cuts for the sandwiches. And I'm putting the sauce and pickles on the side, so the customer can add as much or little as they want. Thanks.

What are you paying per lb for brisket.
I'm paying $2.55/#. That translates to $5.05/# cooked.
My cost for a 5 oz sandwich is $1.58 for meat and $.23 for a bun.
Total cost is $1.81, so I would charge $5.50. I took my cost times 3.

We would round that sammie price up to $6. Don't have to make change with coins that way. :wink:

We've always sold a 1/2 Lb Brisket Sandwich on a Bolillo Roll (So Cal thing) @ $8.00. Combo of chopped and sliced.

I'm paying about 2.60 per pound. Not a lot of people doing brisket down here so I was thinking $7 for the sandwich, $9 with two sides to see how it goes.

Make sure you know your cost on the sides. If you can do 2 sides for $.66, that would work.

Bizz, you're right. I also forgot to add in tax to the price.

I think your figures are fairly accurate when finding a catering price point, but don't forget the cost of your fuel, rub, time and other odds and ends like foil and pans.

I believe vending has a cost above and beyond a catering.
When vending you also have costs of plates, napkins, and silverware.

You also need to ask yourself, do you pay a set up fee at your roadside spot? any generator fuel, electricity charges? Any special insurance needs.

All need to go into figuring your prices.

I won't vend a full size Brisket Sandwich at a festival for under $7.00,
Roadside $6.00

I actually stopped vending out here, when I started getting hit with a vending fee that included percentage. But, that is why I mentioned costs, you have to allow for that. Which, an $8 brisket sandwich from Rancho-to go sounds like a deal.

You guys are fairly cheap. Last time i vended i got $7 ALL DAY for a brisket sammy and that was 3 years ago.
The whole 3X pricing is great but in the real world biz that gives you a 33% food cost where you should really be running around 28-30% for max profit. YMMV ;)

Thanks for all the input. I've settled on $8 for the sandwich and $10 with sides. We'll see how it goes this weekend. I'll let you all know. Thanks again.

Make sure you know your cost on the sides. If you can do 2 sides for $.66, that would work.

Bizz, you're right. I also forgot to add in tax to the price.

Tax??? We don't need no stinking Tax!!! lol

Actually we price all of our products at even dollar amounts since we primarily do vending nowadays. We are lazy and don't like to mess with coins when cashing out our customers. And for sales tax we opt to calculate off of gross sales rather than by the individual sale. We know our avg rates in the areas we sell and the rounding up of prices covers the sales tax margin. I am guessing that most States allow this method for remitting sales tax but I have not researched it so I may be wrong.

It sure is easier (and faster) for the cashier doing it this way. :-D

The law in Californis is pretty clear that sale as tax is the responsibility of the retailer to submit payment. However, it may be charged to customer, but, must be itemized if done.

Want to guess how many retailers pass the tax on to the customer?

Back