• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS Brisket and water pan questions (pron)

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Trying my first hot-and-fast brisket today. I have a flimsy pizza pan diffuser over my charcoal basket, but have wanted to add a water pan in line above the coal basket and below the meat. Since I haven't gotten around to doing that yet, what about the side-by-side method:

UDS

Seems like its really helping to keep things moist inside the UDS (although I spilled a little into the charcoal when I put it into the drum). But I had enough coal burning, and she's holding steady around 340 - hope things work out.

Thoughts on this kind of water pan setup? Pros and cons?

Then why do WSMs have a water pan? Aren't drum smokers and WSMs (and other upright smokers) built on the same principle?

The WSM water pan is primarily a heat sink. There is plenty of moisture in large pieces of meat like brisket and butts. I use sand in my WSM water pan.

Then why do WSMs have a water pan? Aren't drum smokers and WSMs (and other upright smokers) built on the same principle?

Most people fill their WSM water pan with a terracotta pot base, sand, or fire bricks because the meat in its self has enough moisture but if you want more go for it. :thumb:

Picture didn't load.

It won't hurt to have the pan next to the meat. I used to use a water pan in my NBBD. For a long time I'd add "flavors" to the water, thinking that the steam would add "flavor" to the meat, it didn't. It did, however, help keep the temps stable.

I realize that a NBBD is different than a UDS(I have both), but the concept is the same.

Matt

You have to use the .jpg link to make it work. I've never needed a water pan in my UDS, BTW.

brisketpan.JPG

A UDS with a water pan is no longer a UDS, IMHO. If that is the flavor/cook technique you want, get a WSM. The taste from a simple UDS is from the drippings hitting the fire and creating that campfire flavor. If you don't like that flavor, build something else that is not called a UDS. I will set back and wait for all the hate mail. LOL

The results

Hot and Fast turned out to yield tasty brisket in 5 1/2 hours. I foiled at about 4 1/2 hours to push through the stall because I had limited time to finish my cook. I pulled it off the UDS when the flat read 200 and rested in the foil for another 45 minutes.

The flat sliced nicely with a nice smoke ring. The point wasn't quite as tender as it is when I do it low and slow (or it might be that I usually don't cook to a temperature, but until I can slide the probe in like buttah), but the flavor was great and the time difference in the two methods might make me think about becoming a hot and fast convert.

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

Back