foiling alternatives

G

Graytwhyte

Hey folks, thinkin about doing a brisket and maybe my first fatty this weekend. So this got me to thinkin about how frustrated I get when I'm hurrying along to wrap my freshly out of the cooker briskets in foil and having the foil rip on me while I am sealing her up for time in the oven, only to have to do it all over again. :x So, my question is...Is there anything to wrap the meat in that will give the same results as foil, but won't be so damn easy to tear? Would those plastic oven bags work, or is there something stronger than heavy duty foil that'll work? Thanks, TIMBO.

I use the reynolds oven bags all the time, and get the same results as foil. I like them, they are easy to use, and I have never had one tear.

Timbo, to help reduce tearing I stretch out my large piece of foil then tear off a roughly square piece to make a double layer for the bottom, then plop the brisket on it and seal it up. Haven't had one tear where it caused a leak yet.

You shouldn't have a problem with tearing if you use the Reynolds Heavy Duty foil.

Heavy Duty Foil and insulated gloves!!

I also use the Reynolds Turkey bags occassionally!!

I use that big ass roll of HD foil from Costco. Shits awesome. Has this big roller dealie in there. Perfect cuts every time

Neil and David have the right idea if you use foil. Another good idea is to use a big oven roaster with a little added water. In fact I usually put my briskets in an oven roaster and in the indoor oven at 180 degrees overnight (or the equivalent hours). If you want to put the roaster back in the smoker than get one of those porcelain roasters at your favorite cheep store and dedicate it to the smoker. You can still top it off in the smoker if you want but usually this makes the brisket so tender that you just want to eat it and not spend the extra time back in the smoker, and the juice is the most heavenly sauce known to non-vegans. When I do this I usually pull the beef and serve it just like pulled pork. Jes, now you guys have gone and made me hungry at work where there is no relief.

I've used a roaster also, or put the meat in a disposable aluminum pan with juice, water, etc. and then cover with foil. I've held brisket and most often, pork butt, like this - overnight in a slow oven.

The last series of pork butts were done like that: cook from about 4pm until I can't stand it, pull the pork out of the cooker, spray it, put in an aluminum pan and cover with foil. I then held the meat in a very slow oven (warm - about 160-200) over night - I then pulled the pork the next morning for the luncheons. All four butts came out great - moist and tender -- still had plenty of bark, too.

i got 2 things to say.

the read and blue box.....heavy duty foil from costco.

and now i too am friggin hungry for brisket.. and all there is in the fridge is roast beef. DAMN!!!

and now i too am friggin hungry for brisket..
for me, this is a permanent condition :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love baby backs and Buzz's spares (damn those were good) and am liking pulled pork more all the time, porkloin and turkey boob are both awesome, but when its Brethern Good, ain't nothin' holds a candle to Brisket. Cubes of point, sliced flat sammiches, scraps from the cutting board, ain't nothin' better than smoked brisket, well..food wise anyhow.

BBQchef33 said:
i got 2 things to say.

the read and blue box.....heavy duty foil from costco.

and now i too am friggin hungry for brisket.. and all there is in the fridge is roast beef. DAMN!!!

You think you have a problem.....all I gots is farking foil!

what about your spam?

willkat98 said:
I use that big ass roll of HD foil from Costco. Shits awesome. Has this big roller dealie in there. Perfect cuts every time

I bought tons of the HD foil from costco last time it was on sale. The only time I rip the foil is when I am rushing while foiling my ribs, never had a problem with brisket though.

Foil

I noticed in the BullSheet that KCBS has All Foils Heavy Duty Foil available. Anyone know anything about it?At $48.00 a roll must be alot of foil.

This is sort of off topic but speaking of sliced beef mentioned above, kinda of embarrassed to ask this but is that brisket? It seems to be cut maybe with the grain or not quite as cooked as fall apart brisket like I prefer in the Dera. I've got a slicer on order and want to try my hand at some thinly sliced beef. Don't see how you cut it without falling apart.

Oh, to tie in, I use Heavy duty Reynolds foil and have never had a problem, especially double wrapping.

Stucue74 said:
This is sort of off topic but speaking of sliced beef mentioned above, kinda of embarrassed to ask this but is that brisket? It seems to be cut maybe with the grain or not quite as cooked as fall apart brisket like I prefer in the Dera. I've got a slicer on order and want to try my hand at some thinly sliced beef. Don't see how you cut it without falling apart.

Oh, to tie in, I use Heavy duty Reynolds foil and have never had a problem, especially double wrapping.

Sliced beef is the brisket flat that is knife sliced about 1/4" thick. If tender, it'll barely stay together. Then the point can be chopped.

Back