First BBQ attempt on a new grill

I was this close |---| to getting one of those when we bought our house. i'm curious to see what you think of it :-D

I'll have to keep up on this post when I have a chance to use the LP side, and use the grill overall more. I can say from this first cook that there were some issues.

I was using lump charcoal in the smoke box. I lit a half-chimney and dumped it on top of a big pile of royal oak. The minion method it's called. When I've done this before using a cheapo little barrel smoker, I've ended up with a steady burning 225-ish degree heat that lasts for a good 6-8 hours. However, doing this with the new grill didn't work out so well. I burned through the royal oak very quickly. Usually when using the minion method the charcoal lights very slowly and gives off an excellent thin blue smoke which has eliminated the need for wood chunks. But because the whole pile lit so quick I only had good smoke for about 45 minutes, and I had to add more charcoal after only 2 hours. That was ok for the chicken but would not work for just about anything else, especially ribs or brisket.

Next time I may try the minion method directly in the charcoal compartment, instead of in the offset fire box. And of course I need to try a cook using wood sticks in the offset fire box, which should work pretty well.

The bottom line is always how the food tastes, and that chicken sure was good.

That's a nice looking cooker.. all the bells and whistles.. the birds look good.. Good luck with it..

Nice lookin grill. Always good to have cooking options. As others have stated, be careful smoking/cooking with that damn LP bottle nearby. Those things scare the crap outta me.
Chicken looks mighty tasty BTW.

Back