• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoked, braised shortribs on the Smokey Joe(pRon)

code3rrt

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hey all. Tried a couple new things, for me anyway. First, smoked/braised shortribs, and two, a long cook on the Smokey Joe. Turned out pretty successful on both counts.

I never would have thought to do a long cook on the Smokey Joe, usually just use it for quick grilling, burgers, brats, steaks and such. But I also hate to fire up the Performer for a relatively small cook. In one of the threads here recently, Bludawg I believe it was, said he had done cooks of several hours on his Smokey Joe, so I figured I would give it a go.

Seasoned up the shortribs with Pitbarrel Cooker Beef and Game rub. I set my Smokey joe up for indirect, shooting for cooking temps of 250-275. It worked out great.The whole cook was about 4.5 hours.

Ribs on:
Smokedandbraisedshortribs011_zpsc7c2d590.jpg

At about one hour:
Smokedandbraisedshortribs012_zps6410211d.jpg

At a little over two hours:
Smokedandbraisedshortribs013_zpseccc61f3.jpg

Pulled these at this point and placed them in a pie tin with some mild beef broth and sauted onions:
Smokedandbraisedshortribs014_zps470bf8fe.jpg

Covered with foil, wrapped tight, back in the Smokey Joe, with vents all open, temps were running 325-375 for the remainder of the cook.
At three hours the ribs were still a bit tough, at four hours maybe a little more, they were fork tender.
Smokedandbraisedshortribs015_zpsef6c3394.jpg

plated with some garlic whipped taters, a little gravy made from the broth, and buttered green beans:
100_5513_zps731b9c41.jpg

100_5509_zps94a06ae2.jpg

Nice smoke ring:
100_5518_zps9ceceaa9.jpg

A salad topped with artichokes and grape tomatoes, with Newmans Own honey mustard dressing:
100_5517_zpsfedfa259.jpg

A couple of bite shots:
100_5515_zps45783a9f.jpg

100_5512_zps65a2d77a.jpg

All in all a great cook, the ribs were delicious!

Thanks for looking.

KC

That's pretty cool.

Ya got 4.5 hrs. from a Joe? We're taking ours on vacation with us in a couple weeks. I'll have to try that. Thanks!

That's pretty cool.

Ya got 4.5 hrs. from a Joe? We're taking ours on vacation with us in a couple weeks. I'll have to try that. Thanks!

LOL, Yep, used lump charcoal with a couple little pieces of mesquite. I foiled the charcoal grate about 2/3-3/4 or so, lit up about half a chimney of lump, piled it over the opening. Had the bottom vent at about 1/4 to 1/3 open and the top vent all open, still had a litlle fuel left when I was done, probably could have gotten another 1/2 hour to an hour out of it. I think Bludawg even had a longer cook but I can't remember the post.

You inspired me. Those look awesome. Guess what will be on this weekend's menu. Looks like a perfect item for the mini WSM.

Back